finished jewellery 2013

Started by nuttybeader, January 06, 2013, 07:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mizgeorge

I love working with graduated chains, and have been meaning to make more of these for ages, so took the opportunity of needing to cut some rings in very specific sizes for a lovely customer to do some for these at the same time.

dominica graduated drop earrings by mizgeorge, on Flickr

Pat from Canvey

I did this pot melt ages ago and it subsequently cracked. I kept the biggest piece as I hate to throw any glass away. I also misjudged the colours and the amounts of each I used. On the spur of the moment I decided to cut it to shape, fire polish and wrap it in some wire for practice.

It's about 12.3 cm with the wire loop so far too big and heavy for a pendant but at least I used up the piece of failed pot melt and got a bit of wire practice.

silkworm

I have been wire wrapping some pendants for a crystal shop in Peebles. Fun to do but after ten of them my fingers are feeling sore!

copper wrap 2 by maryfrith, on Flickr
Mary

marklaird

I had a good weekend making things for the fair in 10 days time. Thought I would share them here too.

Lentil bead with kumihimo and dangle.

Lentil with shards by Marklaird, on Flickr

Lampwork beads in coral, ivory and turquoise.

Turquoise and coral with ivory bracelet by Marklaird, on Flickr

Blue and white dotty beads with Swarovski and silver.

Blue and white bracelet by Marklaird, on Flickr

And lastly, because I want to start making things that I can wear, a pair of cufflinks in Triton.

Triton DH cufflinks by Marklaird, on Flickr

Got some more cufflinks on the go, so hopefully will have all bases covered for the fair, men, women, kids (got some fish beads on tags for them, not toys though).

Mark

helbels

As some of you may already be aware, a few weeks ago, someone on the forum posted a link to www.colour-designs.co.uk, and a few of us admired the lovely polymer clay jewellery on there - not least me, and I ended up buying this lovely necklace for myself:

Polymer Clay by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

This website prompted some discussion among a few of us as to whether it would be possible to achieve something similar in glass.  I decided to set out to try (although I accepted from the start that achieving the same bright colour palette probably would not be feasible).

My first attempt was done using an existing mixed Bev Pegasus beadroller that I had, and as a result I produced this:

IMG_0128-001 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

IMG_0134 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

Now, nice as the necklace is, I wasn't satisfied for a few reasons:

1) The discs are a LOT bigger and wider than the original inspiration piece
2) The original piece is more delicate and has a lot more discs, which gets more colour into the piece.

Some head scratching ensued.  I decided that I'd never be able to make discs as narrow as in the inspiration piece, as it's just not feasible to get a glass footprint as thin as polymer clay on a mandrel and still retain the structured, flat edged look to the discs.  However, I thought I might be able to go as narrow as 4mm if the right tool could be found to let me do it.

In very OCD fashion, I therefore decided to commission a bespoke roller from Graphite Girl, who's advertised on the forum over the past few weeks (yes, when I get an idea into my head, I'm not easily deterred!  ;D).  I decided I'd try to mimic the diameter of the original discs (10mm), but also have a few graduated sized cavities to let me go bigger if need be.  So, my special tool was commissioned and arrived last week:

IMG_0005 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

(Incidentally, since I got this roller made, Bev Pegasus has brought out her new mini rollers, which include a disc one that would achieve pretty much the same thing - sod's law that I commissioned this one, before this happened!)

So, yesterday I sat down to have a go with it.  Well OMG, after half an hour I was pretty sure I'd commissioned an unusable tool!  It turns out that making discs this narrow is blooming difficult  :o.. the problem is that the glass is gripping the mandrel on such a tiny footprint that as soon as you start to try and shape, the bead release tends to break.  Arrgh.  The large diameter discs are even harder than the little ones!  So, I quickly decided to limit myself to the smallest cavity (10mm x 4mm) to avoid giving up due to frustration.

So, after a lot of toil, kilning overnight, cleaning etc, I am proud to present my finished bracelet and earrings.   There are 40 discs in the bracelet, some are etched for variety, and the earwires are by Mizgeorge:

IMG_0002 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

It's very pretty on, and I think I've captured the spirit of the original.  It also goes very well with my Links sweetie bracelet.   I might even attempt a matching necklace, which I've worked out will need at least 108 discs.. but I think I need a lie down in a darkened room first!   ;D

So, to answer the original question - YES, it is possible to achieve something similar in glass to what Claire from www.colour-designs.co.uk does in polymer clay, provided you are OCD and a bit unhinged.    Incidentally, for those of you who worry about such things, I let Claire know what I was up to, and she was fine with the concept of me trying this in glass.

Thanks for reading!  :D

Dee Dee

I am particularly pleased with my little Damask square nuggets, knowing how flippin' fiddly they are to make, but never actually done anything with them myself - well I put that to rights this weekend, when I made a bracelet and earring set for a good friend for her birthday....

DAMASK Bracelet and Earring Set by Beads by Stephanie, on Flickr

She was really pleased with it! Thank goodness! ;D

Shirley

I made this copper necklace for a good friend. Over 20 years ago we both went to Paris on a school trip. The first day we found a street market that was just winding up. There was a stall there with lovely beaten copper jewellery. My friend bought a necklace - copper spirals. Unfortunately it disappeared somewhere before it got back to the UK. A total mystery. On hearing I had started working in metal my friend started saying "Do you remember when..." and I knew what she was going to say. Here's the result. The dangly bit is actually an extender chain.

Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Blue Kiln Beads

I have actually had the energy and motivation to make a few pieces of jewellery from some beads I made recently.  The brangle is taken from the By George it's Lush workshop I went on a while ago.

Lime Doodle Brangle by Blue Kiln Beads, on Flickr

A Collection of Loveliness by Blue Kiln Beads, on Flickr
Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

Aruala

Am very proud that everything in the photo was made by me  8)
Crochet, metalwork, wirework, lampwork and all - just need an occasion to wear it now

Leafy shawl pin

mizgeorge

I'm famously hopeless at getting round to take pictures, so I always feel a bit smug when I do so! So apologies for a bit of a hog now.

Firstly, a bit of maille - heavily oxidised butterfly weave with a bit of labradorite

guadeloupe bracelet by mizgeorge, on Flickr

then a set of things (I never make sets!) that I made a while ago and just reworked a bit because I wasn't completely happy. Gorgeous beads from Kay and some very shiny silver

anguillita bracelet by mizgeorge, on Flickr

anguillita earrings by mizgeorge, on Flickr

anguillita pendant by mizgeorge, on Flickr

Finally a bunch of earrings. The first couple of pairs use bronze headpins and titanium earwires (because bronze isn't nice in the ears). The first set have some beads from Clare Morris and Unicorn beads drops, and the second are my own beads. The aqua and sterling ones are my attempts at bumpy beads, shamelessly copied from some I saw on here quite a long time ago and I can only apologise for not being able to remember who made them.

vatersay earrings by mizgeorge, on Flickr

rousay earrings by mizgeorge, on Flickr

seranilla earrings by mizgeorge, on Flickr

Purple Cobwebs

I had a session using up lots of rod ends and have ended up with a barrel bead bracelet that fits me perfectly! I know I'll get a lot of wear out of this!!!

Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Purple Cobwebs

I found these lampies in my box of old stash! I made them several years ago and thought they weren't good enough to sell, and wasn't sure what to do with them.
Well, I've teamed with some snowflake spacers and made a choker necklace (about 16"), and I'm quite pleased with it!

Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Les

... but I really like these :)

Made with some lovely tweets from Caroline at Bluberribeads and MizGeorge's lush earwires :)

20130701_124428 by Mad Cat Glass, on Flickr

Pandanimal

I have had such fun making these.
I thought it was about time I took proper photos and showed you all, and got them listed up in my shop.
Lots more still to photograph.

cbeadies

I've been experimenting with different methods of making necklaces...

...simply strung on beading chain - not sure how strong this will be but nice and easy to assemble.

Knotted pinks and greens.

A few 'lonely' beads with faux suede cord - lovely and soft to wear.

And a couple of necklaces using leather cord, very easy. The turquoise and ivory set are some beads I made ages and ages ago, they are far from perfect but a shame to leave them in a box, maybe they have that certain artisan look! Maybe!

One of these days I'll get my Etsy shop up and running and put a few items up for sale, sorry for hog!  :)