Top Tips For Newbies

Started by nete, January 01, 2013, 10:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nete

I've noticed that we have a lot of newbies popping up lately (welcome all). As we have not been getting too many new threads lately I thought it would be nice to give the newbies a new year present. I wondered if we could share one or two of our top tips that we have learnt along the way. Not a whole tutorial, but snippets of things like the "top tips" that you sometimes see that really make life easier.
I'l start of with a couple as examples.

* When applying stringer always move the bead not the stringer.
* When putting bead release onto your mandrel, give it a twirl while in the pot to remove excess then tap the bottom (clean end) on your worktop to ensure a clean straight hole.

Get the idea? So what have you got?

Happy New Year everyone
Nete

ruth

I think this is a really good idea. Having been around just about a year I still think I am in the newbie group.

The tip about a tap on bottom to get a clean straight hole is new to me. ( I do hope I read that right)

My Tip

A kiln is nice but essentail when you start......advertise on here for kiln space
Frittering the children's inheritance.

ruth

second tip

Spell check before you post.
Frittering the children's inheritance.

Rosenquartz

I read a tip somewhere the other day that I'll pass on and that I'm try to adopt myself:

If the work on the mandrel goes wrong don't just dump it in a jar of water but stick it in the kiln (once solid again) or in the blanket or beads or whatever you use: the results might still be interesting, or a useful lesson, or at least if it's not shattered into a hundred pieces and mixed with bead release and other rubbish you could clean it up and slump it or use it in a pot melt.

Happy New Year
Rosenquartz

Nicknack

Quote from: Rosenquartz on January 01, 2013, 11:21:18 AM
I read a tip somewhere the other day that I'll pass on and that I'm try to adopt myself:

If the work on the mandrel goes wrong don't just dump it in a jar of water but stick it in the kiln (once solid again) or in the blanket or beads or whatever you use: the results might still be interesting, or a useful lesson, or at least if it's not shattered into a hundred pieces and mixed with bead release and other rubbish you could clean it up and slump it or use it in a pot melt.

Happy New Year

Following on from that -

However horrible a bead is, there will be someone somewhere who adores it.  

I've made the most hideous monstrosities, and someone has said, "Oh,that's nice!"  We don't like it because it's not what we were aiming for, but nobody else knows what we were aiming for!  If it's all out of shape, they like it for its "organic quality", and if you overheated it and the middle smeared when you encased it, they like it because it's "different".  One of my most admired beads is a great greeny-blue misshapen lump that was one of my first attempts at Corinna's Rainbow beads.  I must try those again, but I bet that if I manage e good one, people will still prefer the other one.

Happy New Year!

Nick

Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr)

Don't be afraid of Big Hole Beads...as long as you start off by really heating the mandrel it keeps the glass cooler so it's more manageable.  I start my beginnners off on big hole mandrels.  A bit like learning to knit with big needles!
Pris
My Website http://www.dancingwithglass.co.uk  My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/princesspeggy01
My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DancingwithglassLampwork

Glyn Burton

My tip would be
always remember which is the hot end.

Lilley

Mine is to mark your silver glass or any more expensive glass or intense black so that you don't mix it up with the less expensive glass (learnt the hard way - I used almost a whole rod of triton thinking it was ordinary black...  :'(   I thought I would remember which was which from where it was on the bench)
Glass - lampworked, blown, kilncast or fused and slumped, it's all good!

marklaird

Brilliant idea.

My tips, as a newbie still:

1) don't be afraid to ask questions, especially here. They don't bite, well occasionally if you haven't used the search function first. Every body here was a newbie once and has been there and done it, and love to share their experience

2) take part in the competitions that go on each month. They're fun and they are now won on talent (just as well for me really)

3) you don't have to have a kiln to start with. I'm limited to small lentils and have to be careful to ensure everything stays warm, but I found a friendly local FH member who I deliver beads to once a week and she kilns them for me.

That's it for me.

helbels

I'd say:

1) Stay away from tools and rollers until you've mastered making rounds and donuts freehand first.  I didn't and it then took me ages to "re-learn" the basics.
2) Don't go buying every single silver glass rod known to man until you've mastered the easier ones first (Triton, Psyche etc).  You'll only waste your money.
3) If you have a frustrating time at the torch, get up and walk away.  Some days/sessions are just crappy!
4) Practice making 100 spacers.  This is incredibly dull but will teach you more about the way glass works than anything else you'll do.
5) Try not to compare your progress to others. Even the person who started at the same time as you could have been on their torch 12 hours a day, whilst you may only have done 2 hours a day over the same time period.
6) Buy "Passing the Flame" - it's worth it, and will teach you more than you can imagine.
7) Spend time just browing old posts on this forum.  It will also teach you more than you can imagine.

ARBeads

Check the lids on the bead release before shaking.............
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Lakelady

1. Try everything
2. Don't be afraid to experiment
3. If it isn't turning out the way you want it to, turn it into something else!
4. Don't beat yourself up if it turns out badly - every bit of torch time adds to your experience.
5. Same as Helbels - if you are really not 'feeling it', go and do something else.
6. If something doesn't go as planned when you first have a go, remember to go back to it further down the line, you will surprise yourself.
7. Have FUN!  ;)
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Rascal

I'd add:

- Keep hold of your first beads and look back every now and then to see how far you've progressed.
- look at some of the earlier threads, it reminded me that everyone started somewhere and when you see the gorgeous beads people are now making it gave me hope that one day I will alos produce stunning beads - I just don't know when that one day will be ;D

Margram

You can take tea breaks - when I started I torched for hours on end without a break, thinking I would have to bleed the pipes each time I stopped... :-[ ;D
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

spexy

Quote from: nete on January 01, 2013, 10:46:16 AM
* When putting bead release onto your mandrel, give it a twirl while in the pot to remove excess then tap the bottom (clean end) on your worktop to ensure a clean straight hole.

I didn't know about this one, will give it a try.

Most of the ones I can think of have aleady been said except

Try to keep your mandrel and bead release hot (around the bead)- especially when using a press (tip from Astrid not me)