Hello and ...help please

Started by b-side-the-c, November 22, 2012, 04:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b-side-the-c

Hi,
What a great resource this site is, thanks to all who keep it going.
I live in Cromer in Norfolk right on the sea hence the user name.  I have always loved glass and have lots from beads (old and new) to large pieces in most rooms now! I have been a regular at Flame off and bead fairs but only to look really.
I am new to all this.... well I actually begin buying the kit, glass etc over last 5 years so when I got to retirement (now) I could begin.  I have made a few beads and everything worked fine. Last night I began in earnest and torch was fine to begin then it got impossible to the control flame.   
When I switch the concentrator on the flame hovers about an inch away from the end of the torch and there is a rushing sound like the flow of oxygen is too high
I have done lots of research so I don't re-invent the wheel and the gas and regulator are fine and the problem is on both torches so they must be fine too. I think it's the oxygen concentrator, which is working, by pushing air through and not oxygen. Had it all to bits and nothing obvious but not sure what I was hoping to find!
I bought it 5 years ago from Glassworks so well out of warranty although it's had almost no use.  I am keen to get on and resigned to buy another concentrator from Martin at Tuffnells but is there anything I might be missing before it do?  Thank you

ruth

hi,

Welcome to FH and to bead making. I am still a newbie so can't advise but there will be someone along soon who can and will.

Ruth
sewnthings
Frittering the children's inheritance.

Lotti

Hi b-side-the-sea, welcome to a wonderful place. :)

It is important to turn your oxycon on and let it run for a bit before you light the torch (with the oxygen 'on' on the torch and the gas 'off') to let it get going, if you are not doing this you will be getting air through first rather than oxygen.  I normally turn my oxycon on, fire the kiln up and go and make tea for a bit before I come back and light it.  Try this first (if you are not doing it) and see how you get on.  I have my oxy at about the 4 mark. 

Good luck and welcome again. :)

Shirley

Hi there, loving the name.

I'm just down the road from you in Norwich.

The advice that's often given with oxycons is to pick them up and drop them a few inches. Alternatively, Tuffnells will do a service on them. Sounds like that's what yours needs, maybe.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Blue Box Studio

Welcome to the forum.  I think a call to Tuffnells about the oxycon sounds your best bet.  It might be something quite simple to a man who knows.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

flame n fuse

I recognise your description. I don't think there is anything wrong with the oxycon. As people above say, switch it on and have the oxy line open at the torch for a few minutes - (you can hear the oxycon settle down into a rhythm) Switch on the kiln and get your ventilation going while you wait. Then I get a match ready, switch the oxy valve off briefly at the torch, open the propane and light it, then switch the oxy valve back on again. that always works for me. alternatively somewhere on here, there is a protocol which I think was written by either Martin at Tuffnells or Sean at Offmandrell. Will see if I can locate it.

oliver90owner

You are likely simply over-fuelling your torch, given that the oxycon has had time for a few cycles.

Turn down the fuel (and therefore the oxygen).  Increase slowly until the flame is as best it can be.  It seems as though you are blowing the flame away from the burner surface.

Shirley

My first oxycon did exactly as you describe - blowing air rather than oxygen. It took about 40mins to settle and then didn't always work properly. I took it back to Tuffnell's and it was the oxycon at fault, nothing to do with the set up. Fortunately I'd had it only a few months and I got an exchange.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

b-side-the-c

Thank you all for your helpful thoughts.
I have tried the start up routines and the dropping suggestion and I thought I was going to be able to report good news as tonight it ran fine for a minute or so and them the problem kicked in again without me changing anything.  So I'll try an replacement concentrator and see if its that. I can always have a spare or run a bigger torch eventually if its turns out to be fine.  Thanks again 

Nicknack

Quote from: b-side-the-c on November 24, 2012, 07:47:53 PM
Thank you all for your helpful thoughts.
I have tried the start up routines and the dropping suggestion and I thought I was going to be able to report good news as tonight it ran fine for a minute or so and them the problem kicked in again without me changing anything.  So I'll try an replacement concentrator and see if its that. I can always have a spare or run a bigger torch eventually if its turns out to be fine.  Thanks again 

There's one on ebay at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110978613284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649.  Ending tomorrow, only one bid so far, £200!

Nick

Calico Cat

Can I ask what sort of torch you have?

My torch behaves as you describe if I have the propane up too high when lighting it and/or turn the oxygen on too soon. If I leave just the propane burning the flame gets smaller and I need to turn the propane up a bit - something to do with the valves warming up. After a few minutes it settles down, I can add the oxygen and the torch is fine from then on.

This is fairly typical of some GTT torches, doesn't seem to work that way with Nortel (Minor burner) - not sure if any other makes have similar "quirks"

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Redhotsal

Sorry - only just seen this.

Sounds to me like you have an internal leak. Especially if this is happening all the time, not just when you start up the unit, or even if it all seems to work for a while and then it does this. The fact that you're getting an intermittent problem suggests that the leak is coming and going.

The old "drop it for a couple of inches" trick only works for a sticking fan, it probably won't help you - might make it worse.

Make sure the unit is off and try and work out where it opens up. Depending on the unit there's usually a long bolt or so holding the unit together. They often open up like a book, but it depends on the age. When you have it open turn it on again but be careful not to poke around in there in case there are any capacitors or stuff . You should be able to hear and perhaps see some brittle tubing and there may be a visible hole. What usually happens is that the internal tubing gets brittle and cracks. The oxygen leaks out into the unit and that's why you get the problem that you are getting. Yes, you have air being delivered to the torch, but it's not pure oxygen.

To solve this problem you will be better off replacing the tubing - you can usually get silicon tubing from an aquatic supplier which will do the job. We usually remove some of the internal filters at the same time as they just impede the airflow and are really only need for medical use.

If you are a practical person you will find this pretty straightforward but if not you may need to get in touch with Tuffnell and see it they're prepared to fix it for you. However, it is a relatively simple fix if you are prepared to tackle it yourself.

b-side-the-c

Hi Thanks for all the new responses.
I'll check out the concentrator on ebay if its not too late but am minded to go to Tuffnels if I need a new on as I can then get servicing if needed.

I have a couple of torches, a Minor and an old 6 turret torch and its the same on both but I will try the warm up routine.

I'll go in search of a leak too. I have already had the covers off to poke around but I'll be more focussed this time

Nicknack

The one on ebay has ended. Probably best to go to Tuffnells anyway,as you say.

Nick

Margram

Oops, nearly forgot to say hello and welcome to the forum - and good luck with getting your oxycon sorted :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog