Another potmelt

Started by Pat from Canvey, July 13, 2012, 02:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat from Canvey

This used a 4 hole pot and BE glass. I've tried to get the shelf more level and it seems to have worked. I don't like the colours much and think that the ratio of coloured glass to clear was a bit too high.
I'd left the kiln on soak for 2 hours at 930 deg C but there was still glass dripping from the holes. It was so late that I decided to vent anyway hence the 4 marks on the melt which will need to be smoothed by a fuse. I've decided to do the melts as I've a lot of BE clear scraps from the studio that's been giving me it's "waste". Clearly she likes using BE clear in her stained glass windows as well as DeSag  clear glass   http://leadandlight.co.uk/shop/glass-products.php?id=236    This glass is 94 COE.

♥♥Tan♥♥

At first I didn't like the colours in it either Pat but the more I look at it the more I like it, it has a kind of irridescent autumnal feel about it and the ripples are beautiful.

Fabienne

I love the colours - they are great!

Fabienne
x

jeannette

Oh I think it's lovely! Do you cram the pot full and arrange them in a particular way or is it "pot" luck?

Soozintheshed

What do you put on the bottom of the kiln Pat?  My pot melt is going to take so much cold working on the back, yours doesn't look like it needs much.
Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Bead-Shed

Pat from Canvey

I put 2 layers of fibre paper on the shelf. Not sure if 2 are needed but I think better to be safe. I also weigh my melts so that I don't overload the pot. Did that once a few years ago and had to have some of the exposed elements replaced. ( Old Fulham Pottery kiln. base and side elements all exposed, never been a problem ) I've both arranged and used pot luck when loading the pot. These melts, because I'm using stained glass scraps that would have been thrown away, I just put the oddly shaped clear pieces in the pot, interspersed with whatever colours I want. I do try to put differing amounts of each colour in the pot and tiny, tiny amounts of black, usually cut from stringer. I also note how much clear to colour goes in the pot so that I can change the ratio according to the amount of colour in the final piece. It also changes the pattern if you vary the number and placement of holes in the pot plus I've also done a pot melt over a small test pot melt ( about 3 inches in diameter ) that was particularly boring. Nothing like playing when you have time.

spexy

I love the colours Pat and it looks lovely with the pool looking bits.

jeannette

Cool, so many hings to try, so little time :)

Hotglass28

Those colours remind me of an ice lolly that tasted like fudge.  called a Jazz or something like that.

Good effects though
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Soozintheshed

Thanks Pat, will try two sheets next time  :)
Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Bead-Shed