Newbie help required - one end dimpled one end lemon shaped

Started by toodlesandbinks, June 10, 2012, 11:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toodlesandbinks

Having just started about a week ago, and a few beads down now, I am having a bit of trouble with the shape of them.

One end is dimpled in nicely and the other at the farthest end of the mandrel is what can only be described as lemon-shaped outwards (and I sometimes also get a bit of glass spillage onto the mandrel too) and is sharp when I take it off and try to clean it - I can get rid of some of the sharpness when I clean with the diamond tipped reamer set, but it's not ideal.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong, or how to resolve it please?  It has got a little better using my round bead press, but I need them to be dimpled both ends!!! Would something like the bead spanner also be of assistance?

Help me .......... PLEASE!!!
Hugs
Kay
xox

spexy

Hi, I found it useful to have a look on utube and watch how people add their glass.

You could also try starting with a small donut bead and then add glass and melt down.  If you heat one side of the bead in the edge of the flame the heat will draw the glass towards the mandrel. Don't be afraid to turn the mandrel towards you slightly and have a look at what the ends are doing as you melt them.

Is there anyone near you who you could watch or could give you tips?

Linda

Margram

You are probably not holding the mandrel completely horizontal. Try putting a mirror in front of you to check this - it's handy to see who is creeping up on you as well! If you see that you need to work on one end to correct it, just heat that side of the bead and dip the mandrel down at an angle to let gravity move glass that way. You can also roll the centre of the bead on your marver to move glass to where you want it. Um, you can also put an extra ring of glass at the offending side. Lastly, you can do the tuning fork trick - heat the bead to soften, and then tap the mandrel vertically on the bench. (You can see I've had the same problem as you when  was starting out!! ;D
PS Sally Carver has an ace set of dvd's you might like to get ;)
PPS Cross posted with Spexy and Kay! We all want to help you :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

sarah t

lemons are usually due to not holding the mandrel level or not getting a neat foot print when starting

unless i am making a huge bead i add the glass to the middle of the bead so it melts in and pushes the ends out neatly

you can sometimes neaten ends with stringer

good luck

Kaz

One word
HORIZONTAL
And don't turn it sideways to have a look!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

toodlesandbinks

excellent advice girls thank you.  I work on all suggestions and report back - even given the problems it's bloomin addictive.
Hugs
Kay
xox

Allicat

Do you switch hands? I found that to be my problem in regards to lopsided beads; I cannot NOT switch (carpal tunnel in my right hand, and I'm totally right handed!), so I make sure to check and compensate as soon as I switch.

mutti

I suffer from reactive arthritis.  Which means most of the time I'm fine but suddenly have 'flare ups'.  Last week I had one of these and had to do a lot of hand swapping.  Guess what ~ multi coloured lemons!   ;) 
Julie

lantana

Kay, if you want to, I can pop over and see what the problem might be? x Rose x

toodlesandbinks

ohh Rose that would be lovely.  Shall I give you a ring?
Hugs
Kay
xox