Silly Fusing Questions! Help!

Started by Melty, May 29, 2012, 11:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melty

I've got a lovely kiln on order from kilncare which will be arriving on the 11th of June! Very excited .... now I need to know about fusing paper versus shelf primer and what the difference is and when I should use which one .... is primer used on shelf direct or just for slumping? os paper used for full fusing or can one use primer .... ? All I've had experince wise so far is a microwave kiln or some day classes where they do the firing for you .... help!
Bertie

♥♥Tan♥♥

Kiln wash is cheaper than kiln paper and if you look after your shelves will give you a nice flat fuse every time, or you can lay it on thick so the brush marks show and have that texture on the back of your pieces. Kiln wash/primer is used on the shelf direct and on the molds and I also did the floor of my kiln to protect from spillages and I am so glad I did because I have had several boobs.

You will need to use kiln wash on all of your molds otherwise the glass will stick.

Congratulations on your lovely new kiln, I'm sure someone with better knowledge than me will be along soon to give you more great tips ;)

Melty

oooh thanks this is exactly what I needed to know! Can't wait to get my hands on it!!
Bertie

Krysia@No98

Come on then, how big is it?

I met this lady a few weeks ago who has a kiln that is 4 by 1 - METERS!!  I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous....
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Krysia@No98

Ooooo NICE!!

and all the other bits as well, WOW.  I'm not surprised that you're so excited.  I think if that was me I'd be absolutely unbearable to be around  ;D
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Pat from Canvey

Have you got an ordinary glass cutter? Diamond band saws are very slow, it's much quicker to use a hand cutter. The band saws are useful for cutting shapes like clouds in a panel and the saw blades are easy to break and cost the earth to replace. You'll also need glass breaking pliers if you haven't already got them, http://www.pearsonsglass.com/Studio-Essentials/c1/p15/1%22-Glass-Breaking-Pliers/product_info.html

Melty

I have got an ordinary oil filled glass cutter as well - I was hoping that the bandsaw one would be good for cutting quirky shapes, Lee reckons they are as good as the taurus ones and I've had a go on a taurus one and it worked really nicely for doingflower shapes and other hard to cut pieces. If it doesn't work out very well I suppose I could always sell it again ... anyone got any experience of those machines?
Bertie

Flyingcheesetoastie

I've Used both an inland band saw and a Taurus ring saw and I bought the ringsaw as it had a larger working area and a more solid cutting surface. The bandsaw blades seemed to break really easier and also had quite temperamental water feed systems.

Melty

Oh thats a pain in the bum - I was hoping it would work out ok ... might have to rethink the bandsaw then ... love your work Flyingcheesetoastie
Bertie

julieHB

Ooooh, congratulations on all your lovely equipment!! You are going to have so much fun! Just a small warning - I advice you to not go to any lampworking meetings......the extra equipment you need to start that as well is a rather hard on the old bank account!!  :D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Melty

... busy filling my piggy bank for lampworking gear don't worry! :D
Bertie

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: Melty on May 29, 2012, 03:33:23 PM
. If it doesn't work out very well I suppose I could always sell it again ... anyone got any experience of those machines?
I've had one for years, imported it from Delphi Glass before I think they were on sale in UK. Had to get a gizmo to convert the voltage to UK. Haven't used it for about 7 years since I gave up making stained glass windows and started beading. As I said earlier, I used it for clouds on a large panel and a few other bits and pieces.

Flyingcheesetoastie

The problem with any hobby is there is always going to be more equipment you can buy, but you might not actually need it.  I have quite a bit of kit in my studio now but it has ben built up slowly over the last 4 years and I usually invest in new kit after I've identified a clear need for it.  The last thing I bought was my sandblaster, which is a great bit of kit but up till that point I was making do with acid etching.  I just got to the point that I didn't want that kind of finish or risk anymore.

Actually the ringsaw I bought when I imported my flatbed grinder so I had some way of removing excess glass to save the wear on my grinding discs, I don't use it for anything other than that.

Moreton

Hi Melty, congratulations on finding a new activity and coming on here were you will find most answers. I have the Inland Band Saw bought ages ago second hand from the states when they were rare as hen's teeth over here. Wish I had saved for a ring saw. Far better but very pricy. The band saw will cut very well with care but the blades are fragile and the curve is restricted compared to the omnidirection of the ring saw. Water supply as Rachel said, is rather temperamental weras the ring saws have a pump I believe and the band saw is just a gravity dripper. Cost has to be considered but if you are going to be doing lots of complex cutting go for the ring saw. Best to see how you do with hand cutters first as I know that Pat (from Canvey) has done some amazing work with an ordinary glass cutter from the hardware shop. Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

Regards Pete
Pete