head or heart? colour storage

Started by Pauline, May 07, 2012, 08:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline

I spent yesterday evening putting together the mitre saw that I bought years ago in Lidl (because I needed it) and have cut up another 5 drainpipes and so should now have enough space to sort and store my glass with out too much tube sharing going on.
So how do I arrange my glass......
my head says "do it sensibly in numerical order by maker so that I can easily stock take and find glass that way.
my heart says group it in colours so that its easy to see them working together and so it looks nice

What does everyone else do?

Lakelady

Definately colours - it also makes sure I have a good balanced choice and makes it easier for ordering, else all I would have are blues!  ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art

GaysieMay

Pauline I love you and your lists!  Go by heart this time though, the colours will speak to you more fluently!  ;D ;D ;D
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

The Tartan Trout

sarah t

i have mine divided into makes with the basics nearest the chair  

Pauline

Quote from: GaysieMay on May 07, 2012, 08:37:13 AM
Pauline I love you and your lists!  Go by heart this time though, the colours will speak to you more fluently!  ;D ;D ;D

my work head has been trained to gather all available trustworthy information, then weigh up the pros and cons and only then make an informed choice..... but the artist inside my bravely fighting to get out says "sod the evidence, make it pretty"!!!

thank you ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Blue Box Studio

There's meant to be a system? I clearly need more piping, which means I need more space, which means I need a bigger shedio.  I'm limited to all opaque green in this one and all transparent green in that one :(
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Hamilton Taylor

Do Both!
Order by colour in your racks (I know I would, if I could...), but keep a stock sheet.
Each time you start a new rod, just make a mark against your stock.
It sounds onerous, but if you have your pencil/pen attached to your stocksheet, it need only take a few seconds, and once you're in the habit, you're sorted!
:)
Sean

Dee Dee

Helen G

I have mine separated into makes and each make is roughly in colours  :)

spexy

I'm the same as Helen, makes and colours.

Pam

Just going through the same process as I have bought a new storage unit and revamped my workspace. I did have them in makes and then colour but I have decided I am going to just store by colour only so I can see all shades. It wil make tidying up a lot quicker too when the rods are cool. At the moment I have rods everywhere, in racks, in pots loads on my bench its such a mess. So I got colours too.

Krysia@No98

I have mine by make and then part number order, makes it easier when ordering new stock.  The part numbers tend to be in colour order anyway.

Quote from: Hamilton Taylor on May 07, 2012, 09:30:46 AM
Each time you start a new rod, just make a mark against your stock.
Sean

Very sensible, but I think far too sensible for me!!  I think it would be different if I used more or there was more the one person let loose on my stash
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

MyPrecious

For Glassworks France, we have stored them by make and colour but for my private stash I have sorted them by colour only. :)
Kathy

My website

awrylemming

Colours, and then as far as possible, make.