Goldstone ribbons

Started by lantana, May 01, 2012, 01:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lantana

Hi all, I have just taken delivery of some goldstone ribbons, and although I have used goldstone frit before, I'm not sure whether they should be made into smaller stringers or used as they are? any advice would be welcome. Thanks  :D

tsarvo

Good question, I tried them for the first time yesterday.
I have to admit that I lost almost half of the first rod as it shocked all over me
(aleast I looked sparkly pretty but not huggable :-) )
Attempted to pull it into stringers which wasn't a huge success :-0
But a lot of what I tried yesterday wasn't great. X
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, whisky in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

julieHB

I just use them as they are; work cool if you want to keep the sparkle  :)

It is easier to keep the sparkle if you encase it, but still wouldn't blast it with heat.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

lantana

Thanks, I will try it as is. It just looks quite wide, and if I just wanted a little sparkle, say behind some flowers, will it be too much? Could it be applied onto a clear rod and pulled into a thin stringer I wonder  :)

Trudi

Are you working with flat goldstone ribbons or encased goldstone rods?

I find the commercial rods very shocky and prefer to make my own stringers! It's very easy and you can have them as thick or thin as you like!

ARBeads

I'm with Trudi on this - pull you're own using light Amethyst to increase the sparkle.

I tried the pre pulled blue stringer and found it to incompatible with most Effetre - pinging of both immediately after annealing and several weeks later - yes the stringer was well attached to the base bead - it's almost like it's incompatible with itself!
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

lantana

Trudi - they are ribbons and quite wide. How would I make my own? :D

Kathy

Ooh, I'd love to know that too - I got a couple of ribbons in a swap a little while ago and never known what to do with them! :D

Madam Steph

I think Trudi means to pull your own stringer..not your own ribbons

I could be wrong

Linda x

noora

I have some bluestone ribbons (Tuffnell's sent them as replacement when I had ordered bluestone stringers but they were out) and just apply them as they are. Looks nice when you wrap some all the way around a bead and encase. It adds a nice sparkle. That's the only use I've found for them so far, they're too wide for small dots or scrollwork. The blue/purple ones to the right in this photo have some bluestone ribbon applied like that, perhaps you can see a bit of the sparkle in the photo:

julieHB

You can pull the ribbon into thinner stringer if you want - just work cool.

If you want encased stringer you can encase a bit of the ribbon thinly before pulling it out to an encased stringer. To get a really thin encasing pull thick stringers of the clear glass to encase with.

Alternatively you can buy goldstone nuggets that you encase and pull stringer from. Add a bit of clear glass onto the end of a mandrel, heat until molten and fix to a lump of goldstone which has been pre-warmed. Encase and pull into stringer.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

sarah t

you can use the ribbon on its side rather than flat ( holding it like a pencil) for thinner lines and dots

james M knox

Hi All,

I find these ribbons make very nice twisties. 

I Melt a blob of white glass and mash it into a lollypop.

the gently melt the blue or gold ribbon on one side of the lollipop.

carefully cover the blue ribbon with either clear or a pale blue transparent.

cover the other side of the lollipop with some contrasting colour, I sometimes use red/orange or turquise.

Encase all the covered lollipop in thin clear,

Heat, pull and twist - Nice twisty with the goldstone shimmer.

This looks nice with the blue on one side and the gold on the other as well.

JMKnox

Redhotsal

Nice tip James, - goldstone also looks great encased in rubino.

julieHB

Quote from: Redhotsal on May 02, 2012, 10:27:48 AM
goldstone also looks great encased in rubino.

Oooooooh - haven't tried that - sounds very nice!

James, thanks for that great twistie recipe!
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr