Opaque colours for 'petal' beads.

Started by Alison G, March 11, 2012, 07:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alison G

I've recently had some success with the petal beads (as made by Helen G, Regis, Anouk and many others) but I'm getting frustrated by the unreliability of opaques to stay opaque when the dots are stretched by clear glass and heat.

I grabbed a dark teal by Lauscha thinking it looked very dense in the rod, and ended up with a dark trans. I know some colours that work but I wondered if anyone had a 'pretty reliable' list?

I'm really looking for a proper grey, Oliphaunt (sic) is too taupe but nice all the same.

NB. Do not touch hot rods of glass, it is stupid.

GlassOcean

H Sweetie, do the Reichenbach mystics behave in these beads?  Mystic grey is lovely.

Kaz

Try adding a transparent dot on top to intensify the colour e.g. Orange and orange striker, lapis and ink blue, yellow and transparent green etc.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Alison G

I haven't tried Mystics in these sort of beads but I love them and have them all. I'd been avoiding them because they do heat strike, but maybe that's what I need. I will give it a go.

Thanks Kaz, I do this with stripe beads and harlequin, and with the petal beads I put a bubble in. But I wanted a single colour.  I love ink blue, it goes over every blue I have and some greens and purples too :)

Alison G

I take it back about the Lauscha, it was fine once it had been annealed.

Teal & white lotus by AlisonGriffiths, on Flickr

Helen G

Most of the ones I've made use an opaque with a transparent on top and all effetre. So far they have all stayed nice and opaque. Have you tried the effetre opaque greys?

chipperpottery

I have had no luck at these petal beads, but I tried again yesterday, they are in the kiln waiting for me. Fingers crossed.

Alison G

I've done one in cim Oliphaunt Helen, that was nice. I'll try the Eff. greys. Ta.

Good luck CP!