Warning gas leak!

Started by Ilona, February 23, 2012, 10:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilona

Two weeks ago I ran out of gas and bought a new bottle. We had trouble trying to connect it but managed in the end and I spent the weekend making beads, but thought there was a strong strange smell. I then beaded all last weekend and kept thinking there was a strange wiff but thought nothing more about it, because every time I left the caravan studio I bled the pipes and switched off the gas and there was no smell when I returned. During the week I have kept having light headed moments - only now and again, but it has worried me.
Today I was beading and the smell kept coming over me, and started making me feel sick. I fetched some soapy water and put it over the connectors and nothing. Then I lit the torch and tried again with the soapy water and it bubbled like mad :o I fetched hubby and we sorted the problem and everything is fine now, but what a fright.
I can't belive that I have been making beads for the last 2 weekends and have had a fire on and naked flame going next to a leaking propane cylinder :o ::)
From now on I will have the soapy water on hand whenever I change the gas. I just hope that the light headed feeling goes and that was the gas in my system.

Hamilton Taylor

MangoBeads

Glad you are ok .... Bit of. Scare for you :(

Ilona

It was were you thread the connector into the gas bottle. it didn't leak when the bottle was turned off but when it the gas was opened it leaked. We don't think it was tightened up enough. The problem has gone now, but the soapy water will be on hand if I smell anything again.

Emerald

Because I always do mine on my own I always check it for leaks with the soapy bubbles, glad your ok lots of deep fresh air breaths should see you fine  :)
Jo

www.etsy.com/shop/jowalker68
www.jowalkerstudiojeweller.co.uk
www.flickr.com/account

Blue Box Studio

Soapy bubbles didn't always work for me, so I use the leak spray you get from the plumbers; now that does blow BIG bubbles  ::)
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

awrylemming

I always use the soapy water for mine, and not just when I change bottles.  Every couple of weeks I check it, just in case ...
Hope you're feeling better now Ilona  :)

★★Terri★★

I use neat washing up liquid. 

Helen G

I'm the opposite Su, leak spray didn't show a leak that soapy water did!

ARBeads

Neat washing up liquid is not a good idea, the thickness of it may temporarily gum up any leaks. We've got one of those spray olive oil bottles filled, works a treat.
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

jammie

We always check it by running the torch with the gas full, sometimes it can be okay at first then not a few days later so it is worth looking as soon as something seems whiffy! I've learned to trust my instincts if it seems wrong at all it probably is.
Glad you sorted it and are okay now.  :)

Kaz

Plumbers spray is better than washing up liquid which can perish the tubing. Though washing up liquid is better than nothing!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Helen G

Quote from: ARBeads on February 24, 2012, 08:48:51 AM
Neat washing up liquid is not a good idea, the thickness of it may temporarily gum up any leaks. We've got one of those spray olive oil bottles filled, works a treat.
agree, needs to be a solution  ;)

Lotti

I have to confess (hides behind chair) that for a year I didn't check my gas reguarly, then I had to change my bottle a few weeks ago and we had a devil to get a good connection.  In the end I took the bottle back to the suppliers and they exchanged it for me (these farmers you know round here can be heavy handed sometimes!).  It gave me the oohjars so much that I check mine at least weekly (also found an oxygen leak last week and fixed that!).  I use dilute washing up liquid as seem to have struggled to find the plumbers spray round here, need to get to Barnstaple!!!!!!  Must have been a nasty moment for you, glad it is fixed now. :)

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!