mega minor instructions

Started by Pauline, November 18, 2011, 09:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline

I have bought a 2nd hand mega minor but it didn't come with any instructions or the priky tool thing that I have read about.
I have searched here and on the internet assuming I would be able to download the instructions but have been unsucessful.  I have found american forum posts saying there were no instructions with new purchases.  So does anyone have any set up instructions that they can share, or can anyone tell me what they should say eg which screws is it safe to loosen to alter things because it seems set at a funny angle. 
Do I need the special pricky thing or can I sustitute something else and what are you meant to do with it and when?

I have got my new oxycon and quick release for the propane from Martin, but again no instructions for fitting the quick release, does it matter which way round it goes?

Help
Pauline

I am so frustrated... want to turn it on... but also keen not to blow myself up

awrylemming

I lost the special pricky thing around about 15 seconds after my Minor was delivered ... so I just use a bitta wire.  ;D

Pauline

did it come with any instructions on setting up or using the pricky thing?

Lakelady

Mine didn't come with any instructions....I got all my stuff from Martin - I just plugged it all in - attached the hoses and lit up....
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Pauline

ok then  will just go for it!!!!
pauline

Lakelady

Let us know how you get on! Have fun  ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Pauline

well I seem to have the quick release the right way round because I am getting gas to the lamp (now I have the regulator turned the correct way!) but have a very slow leak at the regulator to cylinder connection.  I have disconnected and cleaned the threads and done up again as tight as I can with the spanner.  Can I use PTFE tape or not on the propane?
previous threads are conflicting
Pauline

Lakelady

I have just had a look at mine - the regulator screws to the bottle and the hose looks like it has been 'squashed' onto the connector....not sure about tape, sorry. :-\
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Kalorlo

You shouldn't use tape on the connection - it might just need a little more welly on the spanner if it's nearly there? My spanner's pretty large so I can get leverage.

Pauline

wasn't sure how hard it was safe to hit a presurised gas container lol
need to take back the  spanner I bought today as is too big, worrying thing was as I walked over to the "propane section" the man behind the counter said "it's the glass bead lady"  I must have made an impression last time I went in trailing torch and hoses!
thank you for all your help and reassurance
pauline

Lakelady

Have you managed to sort it out yet?   :)
Turner Rowe Glass Art

sarah t

the pokey thing is only for cleaning the nozzels so not vital and see if you can downlaod instructions from another duel fuel torch ,they are all have a pretty similar set up process they just work a bit different ...also have a look on 'you tube'  (but remember that british and american connector bits are  sometimes different )

leaks are a bit of an safety issue  :P so make sure you have none ! so when you are changing your spanner get some leak indicator ...

red hot sal has some good hints and tips on her dvd about setting up if i remember rightly

good luck

Pauline

thanks everyone, now have huge shiny new spanner which sealed it straight away, so could actually fire it up for the first time and it works, I can't believe how quiet it is after the hot head on mapp.DH and DS about to go out till bed time so hopefully won't be back on here till this evening  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
and then more glassy fun tomorrow at vonnies :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pauline

Kalorlo

Lakelady

Brilliant!  |Don't forget to post some pics!   ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art