Fusing - my caps are falling off!

Started by Absart, July 31, 2007, 04:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absart

I recently bought a kiln (yipeeeee) and have been experimenting over the weekend. I have been trying to create pieces with a hole running through using rolled up kiln paper. This is fine but some of the caps have been slipping off whilst fusing and pooling at the bottom of the pendants! Any suggestions on how to keep them on there?
Admittedly I don't have a spirit level but the table my kiln is on is level. Any other thoughts?
Thank you
Abbie  :)

littlegiggles

you could use a small amount of glue to hold them in place... warm glass has some which I;ve used

Funky Cow

Don't laugh..... I use honey or lemon curd to just 'tack' my layers before fusing! Don't use a lot, just a smear with a cotton bud or small paintbrush, and WAIT WAIT WAIT til it's dry before fusing. You can use Elmer's fusing glue, but it always makes my dichroic glass peel/distort - honey and lemon curd are much better  ;D
Cathryn xxx     

My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

Funky Cow

Check the level of your kiln too - I've got a Paragon SC2 and even though the worktop is level, I still had to make adjustments as the kiln floor wasn't level when sitting on the worktop!
Cathryn xxx     

Absart

Well that's the thing I do use glue to hold it together but it still slipped off.  :(
I have just had a closer look at the cabs I made and there was one which didn't have the rolled up paper to make the hole and that slipped off too. I think I need to get a spirit level.  :-\
How do you go about making it level though? I know that sounds like a stupid question but the shelf stands are all the same. I feel like I am being a bit thick here! Sorry!
:-[

BeadyBugs

There are several things it could be:

The kiln might be out of level, or more importantly the shelf.  I checked my kiln was level when I set it up, only to find it was, but the shelf was VERY out.  I had to wedge spare kiln posts underneath the front edge of my kiln, before the shelf inside became level?!? ???  I've got a tiny spirit level (about 1.5" long) that I use to check the shelf (front to back and side to side) everytime I fill the kiln, just to be on the safe side. 

It might also be when you shut the door.  Mine needs a real shove to shut it, so that could also be dislodging your caps. 

And on the glue front, I use diluted PVA to stick my pieces together, it sticks pretty firm when it's dry.  Then I wait til they are thoroughly dry before moving and baking them.  Any residual moisture can make small parts pop off as they heat up.  PVA's not great with dichroic though as Cathryn said - I must give the honey thing a try. ;D

It could be any of the above, or even a combination Abbie, and if the glass is pooling, the kiln maybe too hot aswell.  I can't remember if you've got a bead door or not, but you may want to lower your hottest stage (Temp2) down from 816C to about 805C if the glass is rounding too much.

I hope you get it sorted.  Let us know how you get on.

HP x

P.S.  My shelf posts aren't all the same height - so it ain't a daft question. ;D
Helen P

Absart

Thanks guys,
I'm going to invest in a mini spirit level and try that out. Also i'll experiment with the temp the kiln is going to. Oh I don't have a bead door.
We'll see how it goes.
It is fun having my own kiln, I can try out all of the things I never wanted to send off to someone else to fire!
Thanks  ;D

BeadyBugs

Good luck Abbie, I hope the spirit level helps.  And I'm glad you're having fun with your kiln. ;D

HP x
Helen P

BlueMoon

I don't think that glue is the answer. The glue burns out completely at very low temperatures and will be ineffective in keeping a cap from sliding off if the piece is built so precariously that the only thing holding the cap on is glue. I think that checking the kiln for level will help. Also, placing extra bits of glass under the cap, even if just using clear glass, might help to stabilize the cap. Also, slowing down the ramp rate could help. I've had caps literally jump off when I fired too fast.

Kilns, Torches, Tools & Supplies for Lampworking and Fusing

Absart

I did wonder about placing extra bits of glass under to stabilize it but wasn't sure what effect this might have overall. I'm going to try out all sorts of things to see if I can't rectify it.
Thanks for all your help everyone!
Abs  ;D

Absart

Well just a little update. I haven't tried any fusing in it yet but I did buy a mini spirit level and the shelf was MAJORLY sloping! DOH!  :-[
Probably should have checked that first, or maybe my eyes!!!!
;D

Funky Cow

Oooooooh go on, straighten it up, fuse some more, and let us know  ;D
Cathryn xxx     

Absart

Yipee, I straightened up the shelf and guess what....it worked!!!
Here are some of the first ones to come out all lovely and straight and i've put a bunch of stuff in show and tell.

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful input!  ;D

Les

Funky Cow

Cathryn xxx