Brass sheet/foil

Started by SueP, October 07, 2011, 07:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SueP

Hi
I want to buy some brass sheet or foil to use in my fusing similar to copper foil - does anyone know a supplier I have found sheet online but .3mm thick and DH says that is too thick  ???

Thanks

Zeldazog

I can't say that 0.3mm sounds that thick to me.

Am trying to find the thickness of Bullseye copper foil, Warm Glass says it's 100 guage, and I can't find a conversion chart for metal that goes that high on sheet metal gauge number, but Bullseye's own site says their copper foil is 25.4 micron and according to this site, that equals 1mm

http://www.thinfilm.com/tables.htm

I have some digital calipers that I could measure my foil with but I am not sure if I have any foil here at home (where the calipers are, I think!)

But, it really doesn't sound that thick to me. 

SueP

I thought it was ok so might order a little bit to test  ;D

Thanks for the info will let you know how i do

Zeldazog

Quote from: SueP on October 08, 2011, 01:05:57 PM
I thought it was ok so might order a little bit to test  ;D

Sue, I might have to have a go with brass sheet too now!! Like I need anything else to try....  ;)

Zeldazog

Thinking about it, fusing copper foil definitely isn't as thick as 1mm....

aercraft

You will get bubbles with the brass though - which may or may not be the effect you're after...
Anne

SueP

Yes I want bubbles but I also want the sheet to remain so might try .3mm :)

♥♥Tan♥♥

Is this sort of thing any good?

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/art-emboss-foil-brass-lt-weight.html

I use the copper one in my fusing it has lasted me for years and I haven't had any problems, I couldn't tell you how thick it is though

SueP

Thanx Tan that is useful I have been folding copper foil and sticking it in the vernier 4 x looks like about .3 mm but might try a bit of your last post. ;D ;D

SueP

Haven't used it yet ::) Got distracted with decals  ;D

Sandera

I've just bought my first decal but I haven't used it yet. I keep getting distracted with other things. Need more time to play :)

Have you seen any pieces that have used brass as the inclusion? Mmm.... just off to search the Internet. Arggg - must not get distracted!!!!!

SueP

Here's some I did earlier (on my course) :) so I know it works

Sandera

Love the colour! Did you have to coat it to keep it from oxidisng and if you did what did you use?