Whats the lampwork bible?

Started by Mandy, August 15, 2011, 01:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandy

Hello my lovely ladies/Gentlemen...My hb has been really good and now has brought me everything I need to start lampworking. I now  am looking at getting some books. There are hundreds out there and would feel very cheeky asking for more money to buy them .. In fact I think it would kill my husband...lol.. I have already got the complete book of glass making, which is a wonderful read... I was just wondering if there is a must have book, one that you all turn to in need of inspiration/help...  Many thanks Mandyx

Hotglass28

Passing the flame.   Full stop ;D

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Les

Les

Mandy

lol, You was both very quick.... It looks scummy!... Think Ill get saving for that one, for the first time in a long time I'm actually looking forward to my birthday! haha... the list of bits i want is going to rival my four daughters!

MadelineBunyan

passing the flame is fab,

but I love 'beads of glass' by Cindy Jenkins

(she has written other books too)

I much prefer the way it is laid out, you can work from it lot easier than PTF. it has alot of different bead projects, lots of basic ones to get you started, but also some more challenging ones for later on.

I think that not as many people have it, as it was a bit unavailable for a time.
but, its top of my list.

Josephine

Another vote for Beads of Glass here.

cbeadies

I like Passing the Flame too.
I haven't read Beads of Glass yet but would like to get it - just had a look at prices, this seems to be the cheapest at the moment.

http://www.wellheadbooks.com/acatalog/MB_Glass.html#a2037

justjules

As a newbie I'm with Madeline on "Beads of Glass" but also have (& refer to frequently) "Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking" by Kimberley Adams & "Creative Lampwork" by Joan Gordon. All 3 are very user friendly with good diagrams. I'm saving up for Passing the Flame!

:) :)

Helen G

My personal opinion is Beads of Glass is glorious with lots of lovely tutorials but I would say passing the flame has more basics in it and was better for a complete newbie  ;)

awrylemming

Mandy, I'm happy to loan you my copy of Passing the Flame for a couple of weeks if you don't mind paying the postage for it.

Mandy

Thats very very kind of you, I would love to have a nose........How do I pay the postage ?... Im very new to this and obviously a big bar of chocolate for you to enjoy xx

awrylemming

Hmm, Paypal is usually the way to go, if that's okay with you?  I'm not sure how much it'll be to post, so would have to tell you after sending.  If you pm your address to me, I'll get it off to you, probably on Wednesday, then tell you what it cost.

Kaz

I think Creative Lampwork is a really good book for newbies (and oldies!)
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

sublimekate

I love Passing the Flame and The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking, both stood me in good stead when I started.

But you know the best bible you could ever have is a notebook of all your fave colour combos, reactions, those 'don't ever use those two together again' episodes. It's suprising how you forget what happens when you use 'this' with 'that', and there's nothing worse than looking at a gorgeous bead and not having a clue how you did it or what you used  ;D  ;D

I have literally spent weeks attempting to recreate effects because at the time I made it I was just messing about and didn't realise some magic had happened until the bead came out of the kiln  ???

Honestly it will be worth its weight in beads  :)

Kate xx