Tanked Oxygen???

Started by GlassOcean, May 20, 2011, 09:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlassOcean

Hiya clever lovelies,

I have given up on my oxy, poor Joe has gone to the big Oxy park in the sky!!

What else do I need to have tanked Oxy?  Do I need a licence?  I've got a flashback arrestor but am a bit clueless other than that!

xx
KJ

Dragonfire Glass

ScarletLeonard

yep costs a fortune, don't think you need a licence since it's also used for medical reasons but better off just getting a new oxycon or getting Joe repaired.

Redhotsal

You'll need a two stage oxygen regulator and an oxygen flashback arrestor - you cannot use a propane flashback arrestor as the thread will not fit. You will also need high pressure oxygen hosing - you can't use the poly pipe that came with the oxycon. High pressure oxygen hosing resembles the propane hosing in appearance but it is blue. All the oxy fittings will be right-hand thread - unlike your propane ones which will be anticlockwise.

Most importantly - you'll need the special square peg spanner to open the oxy valve - which is an item that is usually overlooked - therefore the supplier can charge a small fortune for it as they know you will have forgotten to source your own.

All oxygen bottles have to be restrained by law - you have to chain it to the wall or get a fancy cage thing for it. A licence depends on the supplier. I originally used BOC and they claimed I needed a "licence" which turned out to be a form that I just signed. I later switched to Energas and they didn't need anything by way of licence and they were cheaper.

I would seriously think about this unless you have had experience with oxygen before. Bottled oxygen is at pressure and is quite a different animal to your non pressurised oxycon. It can be quite a risk-laden proposition. For example - although it doesn't burn it will essentially accelerate any burning process. It has tendancy to soak into things like fabrics - if it leaks out - making them extremely flammable. Because it doesn't smell you will not know you have a leak. You must also never use anything "organic" near it - no PTFE tape and definitely don't use fairy liquid as a leak test.

I am making it sound more scary that it actually is - obviously used safely it is fine, however, as the others have said it is flipping expensive. I was paying over £500 per year for my oxy - you pay for the rental of the bottle, the refill and the delivery - if you are using the large cylinders and it is just not as, well, convenient as an oxycon. And I wasn't even using boro - only soft glass. See, when you think about it - you'll have paid for two oxycons in one year at that rate. On the other hand - you can't beat the unbridled power of bottled oxy vs the oxycon.  :-\

GlassOcean

Thanks darlins, I was looking to save money not spend more!!!  I don't think I would be able to handle the power either!!  my oxy only runs at 2 now and has already been overhauled by Martin, I think it is past it's sell by date!

I'll get to saving.

Thanks again
xx

June

KJ, let's put it this way, we had two torches so decided to go down the tanked oxy route and I now have an oxycon and we just run the one torch on tanked because it isn't used so much...!  :)   

ARBeads

Along with the above points we found we were regularly having to return full bottles to the supplier (BOC) as we couldn't get the regulators to seal. The welders round here are brutes that never check for leaks and never reported anything to the stockist.
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Kaz

I'm amazed you were only paying £500 a year Sal - I reckon I have gone through almost £300 worth in the last 4 weeks in Oz :o Next time I go I will be shipping an oxycon - even they are over $1000Au to buy over there!!!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

sea-thistle

A friend of mine in Scotland used to use the Oxygen Tank method but decided to go for an oxycon, he worked out it is very much cheaper having that than the tank, also a lot safer!. His tank was chained up , Brit oxy used to replace it. He new what he was doing because he had experience working with oxygen tanks. I would never get one, frightens the hell out of me

Redhotsal

Quote from: Kaz on May 21, 2011, 02:15:22 PM
I'm amazed you were only paying £500 a year Sal - I reckon I have gone through almost £300 worth in the last 4 weeks in Oz :o Next time I go I will be shipping an oxycon - even they are over $1000Au to buy over there!!!
Kazx

Well, it was about five or six years ago when I last used bottled oxy, Kaz, and I only ever made small beads with a Minor burner - if you have a larger torch like a Scorpion or some such it would be more oxy-hungry.