Main Menu

CIM Cirrus Woes

Started by *rowanberry*, June 28, 2007, 03:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassworks

thanks kathy, i have already received my stock and allt he glass going out for the last week or so is all the new batch.. the demand for cirrus meant it was the first one we ran out of last time!..

as i mentioned - i have reshipped cirrus to clare, as this is definitely the new batch!

;) ;D

what news new colours?.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kathy Seamands

We have three new colors: 

Pumpkin
Canyon de Chelly
Dirty Martini

See photos here:

http://www.creationismessy.com/Product/Color/indev.aspx

Kathy Seamands

Creation is Messy
Messy Colorâ„¢

[tel]   1-206-774-0876
[web] CreationIsMessy.com
[mail] Kathy@CreationIsMessy.com

littlegiggles

glassworks

*rowanberry*

Kathy,

I worked hot, as hot as i could get...
I worked on 1.6mm mandrels
I put them in hot straight into the kiln
They were annealled at the range you said (at 550c, but it often went a little higher due to overshooting)

I spent an hour reading up on it before I started to make sure as I knew it was tempramental - but the colour of it appealled to me so much, and the idea of using it as a "Mist" in my landscapes appealled to me :-(

I'll see how i get on with the new lot, the half rod I got from Martin as a tester seemed completely different, in fact was a little annoying as it went straight to opaque from the rod! :D

I may not be able to answer the PM immediately Kathy, as I am going away for a few days but will try to asap
Claire

*rowanberry*

heres the pics showing the 2 different cirruses! freaky eh?

Claire

Billie

Wow!  You'd never think they'd been worked the exact same way if you hadn't seen the "combo" bead...

Soozintheshed

Quote from: Kathy Seamands on June 28, 2007, 06:09:59 PM
Cirrus is what I refer to as our most "temperamental" glass. 

Oh bum !  I just bought some, I don't stand a chance - run for cover folks !!!
Sooz     '(0,0)'

www.thebeadshed.co.uk
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Bead-Shed

greenbeadenvy

WOW yu really have tested that glass to within an inch of its life Clair! ROLF
I shall get out my stash I picked up from martin, have a play about with it and let you know how it went hmmm I think i will stick to 'normal' beads for this, I just couldnt stand to see a critter crack :(
Emma xx

*rowanberry*

Each time i did a goddess with it, it cracked big time. So not sure how it cracks up to sculptural (geddit? har har).

Yeh I did test it out to an inch of its life - basically coz the test bead I did came out nice so I thought I'd run with it and do 2 sets, and a wodge of focals and a goddess and used it all up! But the test bead was from glass from my original batch - sob!!!!!!!

P.S. Emma it was fab chatting with you today - I tried out the "tip" too, we'll see how they come out from the kiln!!!!
Claire

glassworks

just so everyone is clear - we ran out of the "old" bach of cirrus quite some time ago and as martin is now the european distributor of CiM our replacement order is from him... al orders from the last few weeks will have been filled from the new stock from martin..

kathy will look into this for us, as CiM is a small and tightly controlled glass works... anyone who suspects that they have an earlier batch should please email either martin or i - and we can take it up with kathy!...

;) ;D

*rowanberry*

from the rod I got from martin, the new batch seems a whole different kettle of fish!
Claire

Kathy Seamands

Claire,

Thank you so much for posting those clear and definitive photos.

I spent some time talking to our batch mixer and chemist this weekend.  We have come to the conclusion that the two batches of Cirrus are different.  We have pinpointed the cause and corrected the flaw in our quality control system so as not to experience this again.

We are re melting Cirrus and air shipping replacements to Martin later this week (along with our newest colors).  Martin will be individually contacting those that have already purchased Cirrus.

The batch that Tuffnell has in stock tested 104 compatible, but you are correct in that their stock is more likely to turn opaque than regular Cirrus.  Please label your rods to avoid confusion.  We've been told that the Cirrus you have in hand is especially good for making larger sculptural pieces like ghosts, snowmen, etc.

I apologize for this situation and hope it has not caused any great inconvenience. Claire, I applaud your attention to detail and will be sending you a package soon to thank you for your discovery.

Kathy
Kathy Seamands

Creation is Messy
Messy Colorâ„¢

[tel]   1-206-774-0876
[web] CreationIsMessy.com
[mail] Kathy@CreationIsMessy.com

*rowanberry*

I am happy to help and to have spotted this for you!!!!!

I am wondering whether this "odd" batch of cirrus would make a nice replacement for effetre anice white as it does have that ghostly whiteness that anice white does, will try it later :D
Claire

Trudi

I hadn't used my Cirrus for ages - so I got mine out again. I've had no problems with beads craking - but I had forgotten how tempremental it is. I was warming up the rod in the flame - and it shattered into loads of pieces - too small to use really - guess I'll have to keep them till I get a glass crusher!!
Q - I don't want anything back - but do you want me to send them to you so you can get it checked?

Trudi