Size of Propane Cylinder?

Started by mariag, June 20, 2007, 04:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariag

Hi guys, (hope that I've posted this in the right place)

I've ordered all of my equipment & it's on its way yippee!!!!

I'm going to run a Nortel Minor on an OxyCon but I just wondered what would be the best size of gas cylinder to run & roughly how long could I expect it to last?

Any suggestions gratefully received  :)

Maria

Les

Off the top of my head Maria, I think I have a 13kg cylinder .. ?? .. or thereabouts...

It lasts for aaaaaaages :)

astringofbeads

I have a 13kg one and that lasts me around 3 months and I torch every weekday roughly for 2-3 hours
Hope this helps ;)

♥♥Tan♥♥

Hiya Maria, I have a 19kg and its lasted years...its way more than I need,,,,,I torch a couple of hours at a time sometimes every day or every two days

Billie

Mine is 13kg and I've had it since December... I torch for 3 or 4 hours a week (if I'm lucky!)  ;D ;D

*rowanberry*

I got a 17kg and it lasted me 6 months :D I torch about 12-16 hours a week at the mo, so it may last less this time around.
Claire

Caroline

i've got a 13kg one and i've had it since December with about 10-15 hours a week at the torch

mariag

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I was thinking about getting a 13kg as it will fit better in the shed.
I'll give the local gas supplier a ring in the morning :)

Redhotsal

Oooh - they're all so big!

I have three (greedy  ::)) - two 3.9kg bottle and one 6kg bottle. I torch for about five hours a day and the 6kg probably lasts about a month?
It's good having a couple spare as you don't have to go and get a refill when you run out.

I like the small cylinders as I can just pick 'em up with one hand, dump them in the boot of the trusty Volvo and drive to the tool hire place for a refill without having a muscle bound bod to help me.

But the real reason I have these cylinders is because I went to the local dump and cadged them off the tip bloke. Cost me about £5. Depends on your local regulations as to whether you can still do this - but you'll find hundreds of dead propane bottles at the local tip and they're generally 3.9kg or 6kg.  I just picked out a few and took them straight to the tool hire place to exchange. No contract, no set up charge.

Saved me quite a bit as I understand it's quite expensive to purchase a "new" propane cylinder - which is bonkers really, as when you go to replace it you'll probably get some manky rusty old number in exchange for your shiny but depleted bottle.

beadysam

You can ask on Freecycle for a cylinder if your local supplier charges for one... ;)

Redhotsal

(BTW - Sam - Will email you back soon - thanks - I may well take up on your offer. Apologies - been so busy I haven't had time to properly catch up with the emails. Not ignoring you!
Sal x)

MangoBeads

Quote from: mariag on June 20, 2007, 10:22:32 PM

Best to keep it outside when using it Maria - safer

Caroline

Quote from: Redhotsal on June 20, 2007, 11:58:09 PM

I like the small cylinders as I can just pick 'em up with one hand, dump them in the boot of the trusty Volvo and drive to the tool hire place for a refill without having a muscle bound bod to help me.

i get mine delivered ;D

Bee

Quote from: MangoBeads on June 21, 2007, 08:14:49 AM
Quote from: mariag on June 20, 2007, 10:22:32 PM

Best to keep it outside when using it Maria - safer

I use a 6kg gylinder in the house 'cos it's the only place I can torch at the mo. (Until we get the shed waterproofed and power in!) Don't worry - I store the cylinder in the shed when not in use.

Billie

Quote from: Bee on June 21, 2007, 09:01:51 AM
I use a 6kg gylinder in the house 'cos it's the only place I can torch at the mo. (Until we get the shed waterproofed and power in!) Don't worry - I store the cylinder in the shed when not in use.

Shhhhhhh... me too  ::)