Kiln murdered my rubino oro

Started by Alison G, January 25, 2011, 10:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alison G

Has this happened to anyone else?

It went in (rubino over white) as a really nice pink and came out like a browny purple. I followed the destructions, as we call them, on my kiln. Everything else stayed the same colour.

Oh btw, should I be raising the mandrel ends from the kiln floor or is it okay to just put them in?

Thanks

Alison
NB. Do not touch hot rods of glass, it is stupid.

Fruddy

Rubino can be a REALLY tricky customer in kilns.... it stays sticky when other beads are firm enough to go in with no problems.  I have had about a dozen beads come out with dints and dents in them, because the Rubino is not cooled enough.

I would definitely raise the mandrel with Rubino, I do this all the time now.  What temp are you annealing at??

Dragonfire Glass

I wouldn't put it past rubino to do just that, but mine hasn't.
You also need to watch it as it stays sticky for a while and likes attaching itself to other beads if you're not careful.
The mandrels are ok on the kiln floor.

Pegasus

I gave up on rubino. I use CIM cranberry, no fuss at all!!
~ BEV ~
www.pegasuslampworktools.co.uk      

Kaz

Me too!
Or Reichenbach gold ruby!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

MyPrecious

I LOVE Rubino and never have any problems with it. Maybe your Rubino beads were in the kiln for too long?
Kathy

My website

Redhotsal

Sounds like it has struck in the kiln. Different batches of rubino do different things - I'll have a look at it when I come over  :D

Trudi

I had a batch a while ago that must have had more gold in it, if I worked it too much it (and I don't mean heat it to death) it went quite brown. So I put that aside for smaller beads and it's fine.

What temp do you anneal at?

Alison G

Thanks ladies, it must be that, the un annealed ones are still fine.

I'll look out for the gold ruby though when I'm next buying :)

Sally, I am really looking forward to it  :)

turnedlight

I use pink lady instead, after a couple of years using rubino.. I never even used up my last batch of the rubino after I found Pink Lady..
kathryn

Magpie

I'm a pink lady/cranberry fan, I've never had much luck coaxing colour out of rubino consistently.

Amber

Another vote for Pink Lady and Cranberry  :)

I had a dodgy batch of rubino that always went purple in the kiln...quite a pretty colour but so disappointing when I wanted hot pink!

Alison G

That was what I wanted Amber. The ones in 'Passing the Flame' are super hot pink, clashing with orange.

I looked at them again today and they look more pink...I may be losing it (from the fumes maybe :))

I've just ordered Flame Off tickets for the Friday and I am so excited!

Alison G

I tried the R. Pink Lady and I loved it. That's the way forward once I've used up my rubino I think!