distance selling regulations

Started by mizgeorge, January 08, 2011, 12:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mizgeorge

Whilst updating the various lists, I've been surprised at how many are not complying with distance selling regulations.

If you have a shopping cart of any sort on your site, or if you are actively offering pieces for sale (by whatever payment method and whether on commission or for finished pieces) you need, as an absolute minimum, to include some terms and conditions and, most importantly, display a geographic address (not PO box). I realise the vast majority of us work from home, and may be reluctant to divulge this, but thinking about it, would you buy from a site that hid where they actually were?

It's sensible also to include a phone number (mobile is OK if you don't want to list a home landline) - from personal experience, I get a lot of orders this way that I would never have had otherwise.

Apologies for those of you who are being taught to suck eggs, but I suspect that many small scale sellers are simply unaware of these regulations, and I believe there can be repercussions for non-compliance.

Zeldazog

A good reminder George.  Does the same apply to Etsy shops (can you tell I haven't sorted mine yet) do you need address, etc?  Or does this only apply to proper webshops?

Les

I never got around to sorting my own web site out as I just ended up listing on Etsy instead ... Does Etsy hold your details so that your shop is in compliance with these regulations ? I just wondered as I don't recall seeing my contact information on my shop front page.

Les

mizgeorge

I'm not sure tbh. I would have thought not, as you're actually buying through etsy, and they have your information on file in the event of any dispute I think.

ARBeads

I know Ebay insist on it and have seen one or two cases where they've actively chased and will close shops if you don't comply, and of course there's always the jealous sod who will grass you up just because your selling!
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

bluefairy

Oh dear, thanks George, I didn't know this.  When you say terms and conditions, what sort of thing do you think I should include?   (hello, btw :-*)
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

mizgeorge

Hello lovely :)
Normal selling rules apply regardless of whether you've done your own t&cs, so the customer has the right to return within 7 days etc. A lot of people like to include some blurb about commissions (non refundable elements etc), postage terms and times and a reminder about safety and children (not to mention gorgeous babies!)

Blue Box Studio

Good points.

My insurers (Ian Wallace) also suggested that if you sell outside of the UK you state that sales are subject to UK law just to make things clear - I upped my public & product liability because the basic they offer isn't enough if you get hassle from the US.  Hopefully none of us will have problems but better to be safe than sorry.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr