Main Menu

Cracking beads...

Started by *rowanberry*, May 30, 2007, 03:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

*rowanberry*

I wish it was cracking as in good... but it aint :-( I've lost so much work this week and I dont know whats going on?!!!!!!!!!!!!  :'( :(

any ideas?

All this week I've been suffering from cracked beads, even though I have been doing what I've always been doing :-( I've lost 3 very good tree beads which happened to be the best that I've ever done as well! I didnt do them any different to how I usually do them - but each one has now cracked.

Is it me? the glass? or the kiln?

I have an sc2 with bead door and window. I garage, at 520c and it usually goes a little over by 5c now and again - and the tree beads end up getting around 1-2hrs soak as i make other stuff after... I'm using the same schedule as I've always used.

I just cant afford this amount of bead to crack like this :-( its wasting me time and money  :'( I've barely got anything to sell now and have run out of money to live off of!!!!!!!

(posted similar to kiln section)
Claire

♥♥Tan♥♥

Well.....I'm no use at all but damn and double damn and a great big grrrr...............has that scared it into submission?

*rowanberry*

These are my 2 latest casualties...

I've put a ring around where they've crack to show where it is, as it wasnt showing up woo well in the photo.

The old lady bead had a crack going through the side of her face and through her eye - ouch!
Claire

beadysam

Are you using a different glass?  CiM or something?

*rowanberry*

The tree beads are exactly the same as usual - as I've been doing for weeks :-s no CIM...
All Effetre, except for a teeny teeny tiny tiny bit of ask104 used in the grass.

The old lady was lauscha caramello with effetre detailling.
Claire

♥♥Tan♥♥

well old people are like that

glassworks

how long after coming out are they cracking?.. if they crack in the kiln i believe it may be that they are just getting that little too cool before going in.. apparently it does not have to be much, literally just working in a cooler room than normal?..

???

Vicki

Aw Claire, they are so beautiful too :(

*rowanberry*

The cracks seem to appear after they have come out of the kiln, like even 2-3 days after! before that they were fine...

But all they have been doing has been sitting here!
Claire

♥♥Tan♥♥

well...they are cracking beads ;) :P

Mary

2 or 3 days later, doesn't really sound like thermal. They are usually bigger cracks too, right across, with me anyway. But I don't see how they could be compatability either, if it's the same glass you've been using? I tend to suspect compatibility when it's Lauscha, but other than that I'm no help! Such nice beads too.

*rowanberry*

They start of small - and then grow and grow...

I am wondering if they arent being annealled properly and maybe the kiln is playing up - and the stress within them starts to show later maybe?
Claire

Mary

Worth checking the kiln, even if only to rule that out.

*rowanberry*

Its at time like this I am glad I live in Stoke!!!!!!!! tee hee!
Though the thing should be within warrantee anyway... JUST
Claire

♥♥Tan♥♥

Well you have to have a crack at it Claire!