If you could have just one press, which would you choose?

Started by Blue Box Studio, November 23, 2010, 12:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Box Studio

Parameters: 1st press, using a HH, can't afford more than one right now.

I've looked at Breadpress, Zoozii and Spheres of Glass; I'd like to keep to the UK or Europe - Customs seem to like writing to me at the moment  :(

Which would be easiest for a newbie on a HH?  Ss Lentil, fat lentil, slim lentil or a spree? (Not sure I know exactly what a spree is - looks like a fat lentil with straight sides).  I like the shapes of these.

I've had a good read through the other threads, just can't make my mind up which to go for.  Anything you wouldn't go for, make or shape (can PM me if you'd rather not say publicly).
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

SilverGems89

The first press I ever bought was a beadpress ss lentil, and it is probably the one tool that will have to prised from my cold dead fingers!
So easy to use and a lovely shape (or so I think)
I got it about 2 months after I first started lampworking and have never struggled with using it with the hot head!
HTH 

madpup

"If you could have just one press, which would you choose?

Easy, a wine press (i'll get my coat)  ;D ;D
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

Pegasus

It has to be the marble press, though you only need one half of it to make round beads.
~ BEV ~
www.pegasuslampworktools.co.uk      

sparrow

Another vote for a straight-sided lentil - I bough a 'proper' lentil press a my first, and found it quite frustrating.......but maybe that's just me.   ;D I still use my SS lentil 9 times out of 10 when I use a press (actually, I really need to have a press clear out!)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

princess pink

Probably a zoozii ss lentil if you want to make sets or a bead press one for focals

Tills

I'm with the last three lovelies  ;D SS lentil... but not too big especially with a HH!

Mand

Defo Zoozii lentil trio (slim).  I love Zoozii presses.  ;D  The kalera is also good for a "second press"! - and then I got a crunch which I luuuurv! ;D

Trudi

I got a SS lentil from a German based Ebay supplier http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190444708052

and I wanted the hole to go the other way - and they kindly did this for me.

This is a nice shape and easy to use!

Rainbow1

Sorry to but in but can I ask Mand what a "crunch" is?

Jo x
Jo x

Kalorlo

My first one was a Beadpress lentil trio. Not SS, and I like it just fine! Then I got a Zoozii kalera L&L which is also lovely (and I want a mini kalera-style trio too).

Billie

My first press was a spree/flat sided lentil.  Eventually though, I decided I preferred the regular lentil and have lentil presses in a variety of sizes.  Also a crunch press is very versatile.  A crunch press is...

http://www.cattwalk.com/crunches.htm

ScarletLeonard

I'm in the same boat still no press to call my own.

got my eye on http://www.beadpress.nl/stempelwinkel/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38&products_id=358 since it has both lentil and pillow (which I like)

Then a little voice inside me says no get something more unusual as your first so I end up all confused again.

Billie The cattwalk site is dangerous just been looking at their forming trays and crunches and now my wishlist has tripled in length.

Billie

I've found it's dangerous looking at any site to do with lampwork  :D :D :D  We all went for such a cheap craft  ::) ;D

Jay9

My first press was a zoozii lentiol trio which I found great to start on.  I find it a little small now but is good to use for earrings.  It was pretty easy to learn on.

I then bought a Beadpress ss lentil (about 30-32mm I think).  It has taken me a while to get to grips with the amount of glass needed but I love it now. 

My next buy/s will be heart and probably a crunch - I need to do some research on both these re: sizes, shapes and supplier though.
Janine  xx

"You only retire when you stop doing something you don't like and start doing something you do"