If you could have just one press, which would you choose?

Started by Blue Box Studio, November 23, 2010, 12:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

princess pink

Quote from: ScarletLeonard on November 23, 2010, 12:05:06 PM
I'm in the same boat still no press to call my own.

got my eye on http://www.beadpress.nl/stempelwinkel/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38&products_id=358 since it has both lentil and pillow (which I like)

Scarlett this is the first press I got. I asked Maria louisa to custom make it for me as it wasn't available and I love it! In fact I must get it out as haven't used presses in a while. Can always lend it to you to try put for a couple weeks if you like? Pm me xx

Yellow friend

Bought a few now but I keep going back to my deep sided lentil press from Maria Louisa - still my favourite.  Just bought a normal lentil press & haven't got fully used to it yet.  Also like my little coin shaped triple press. Most difficult to use is the off centre lentil press bought inadvertently!!! They do hang well as focals though.

Shelia
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

♥♥Tan♥♥

Blue Box Studio

Thank you for all that info.  Think I'll go for the ss lentil, just got to work out where to get it.  I was looking at Maria Louisa's site but the postage looks to be a bit scary if we come under zone 5 - not being in the eurozone clearly doesn't work for us with the postman.  Off to check what Martin has.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Billie

Does Spheres of Glass not have any, or Martin?  Or how about on eBay?  Coonvalley ( ???) or someone...

ScarletLeonard

Quote from: princess pink on November 23, 2010, 01:44:11 PM
Scarlett this is the first press I got. I asked Maria louisa to custom make it for me as it wasn't available and I love it! In fact I must get it out as haven't used presses in a while. Can always lend it to you to try put for a couple weeks if you like? Pm me xx

Aww bless you Shahlaa, I may be holding out to see what santa brings me though since there's so much I want to try non press related.

Blue Box Studio

What's the difference between a fat lentil, a spree and a ss lentil?

Anyone know up to what size mandrel a zoozii will take?
Sue

Redkite

I think a spree and SS lentil is the same shape.

A fat lentil still comes down to a thin "point" at the edges, but the sprees have a straight side (surprisingly!!)

My first press was the Zooziis lentil trio, but I found it really hard to get used to, and still have the occasional nightmare trying to get good holes!

My next press was the Zooziis nugget trio and I found that very easy to use and I get really good consistent results. Highly recommended for a "flat square" shape for bracelets.

I now have a SS lentil and think it's easier than the ordinary lentil (although it is also bigger than the Zoozii trio, so that may make it easier too), so I would recommend that, if you want a "flat circle" shape for bracelets or pendants.

I also have 2 heart presses. I never thought I'd want to make hearts, but they are strangely addictive (yes, I have been on a Lush course!!!!)

JaySpangles

I have to say I prefer either Beadpress or Bavarian Beads presses because their mandrel slots are a little more forgiving.  My first press was a Zoozii, and I always broke the bead release (was using 2.4mm mandrells as I got them with my starter set).
I don't much like 1.6, but it did solve the problem. 
Now I use 2mm mandrels 99% of the time, and with both the European makes I rarely break the bead release.  They will also take the 2.4s
If I use the zoozii I go back to 1.6. 
I am not terribly good at forward planning and often choose which press to use AFTER I have started the bead.  Not a recommended process!
I find the ss lentil is easier to get a tidier hole.

Blue Box Studio

I tend to use 2.4 or 3.2 mandrels - but have pretty well decided on the ss lentil, just who from.  I can have a larger slot from Spheres of Glass, but Maria Louisa has deeper lentils and larger sizes which I think might be better for a necklace.  Too much choice, as always.
Sue

SilverGems89

Quote from: Redkite on November 23, 2010, 07:08:31 PM

I also have 2 heart presses. I never thought I'd want to make hearts, but they are strangely addictive (yes, I have been on a Lush course!!!!)

My beadpress Heart press is my second favourite press and yes they do seem to be addictive, some days i just cant bear to make round beads and make heart after heart (today was one of these days!) and im thoroughly jealous of your "Lush" course!!

★★Terri★★

I got a Cattwalk trio lentil (pre-used) and I love it.  First up I could only make the little ones, but now it's the biggest size everytime.  Have been thinking about what to get next - fancy a heart, or perhaps a bead roller.  But as I am financially challenged I'll just sit and dream.  But anyhow....the lentil  is just fine and not too demanding of the melting powers of my  hotheat. ;D

AnnaSpanna

I have a bavarian slim lentil trio and I love it. I was never keen on the ss lentil - but that was more becasue I kept producing things that reminded me of strepsils! My fave press however is my bavarian cubes (which is currently out on loan to Trudi and I'm missing it - so am going to steal my mum's!)