What to use on my new shedio floor?

Started by dinah46, October 13, 2010, 04:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinah46

Well, I've just done a completely unscientific test by making a bead and putting it down hot on a piece of vinyl flooring. The amount of icky smelly smoke it gave off has persuaded me I don't want vinyl :(

I don't really want ceramic tiles as I think they'll be cold in winter.

Recommendations please :D  I would like to be able to keep my toes warm in winter but I don't want icky smoke if I drop a bead.

liquidglass

Hi Diane, you could try putting a fire blanket under where you work, that would still keep your feet warm ;D

hollergrafik

hardboard, cheap and cheerful and doesnt smell bad when hoyglass goes on it

Sarah

Hi Diane

I asked the same question last year and searched the net for reasonably priced non-flammable flooring.

I think ceramic tiles are probably the most practical option but I avoided them because my floor isn't flat and I was worried they'd be cold. In the end I couldn't find anything reliably non-flammable and affordable so I stuck with my plywood shed floor. It isn't the prettiest of floors but I didn't see the point in paying for another layer of something to get burnt!

Sarah
xxx

dinah46

Quote from: Hollergrafik or Special Kay :) on October 13, 2010, 04:36:01 PM
hardboard, cheap and cheerful and doesnt smell bad when hoyglass goes on it

Ooh, hadn't thought of that, worth thinking about as it could be laid over the green stuff (underlay stuffy for laminate flooring) and could probably be replaced quite easily. 

Quote from: Sarah on October 13, 2010, 04:37:51 PM
In the end I couldn't find anything reliably non-flammable and affordable so I stuck with my plywood shed floor. It isn't the prettiest of floors but I didn't see the point in paying for another layer of something to get burnt!

Thanks Sarah but the grooves in the wooden floor would bug me as they would collect bits of glass.  I really want something flat and easy to sweep.

Pam

I had Kingspan put down then hardwood then the tiles. Not too cold at all and so easy to clean, sweep etc plus no problems with hot glass.

SueP

I got a few packs of cheap laminate - seems to be OK  :) :)

Kaz

I have hospital grade commercial flooring down. It smoulders and chars a bit but is fire-resistant.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Les

I'd say cheap laminate should do the trick :)

puffin

Quote from: Kaz on October 13, 2010, 08:15:47 PM
I have hospital grade commercial flooring down. It smoulders and chars a bit but is fire-resistant.
Kazx

Good choice as that is what I will most probably end up with . Anything left over from a job.  We always tend to go for commercial stuff as we know it lasts forever

I have pub carpet on my stairs , best carpet ever as it is hard wearing for all the mutts we have  ;D
Stacey

A Little Love Goes A Long Way

www.sillymooz.blogspot.com

turnedlight

I have laminate, the cheaper one from Wickes I think it was.
kathryn

Lush!

I've got quarry tiles in the porch, but I have an old rug folded up under the bench.  Nice for my toes - and somewhere for Charlie to settle down with any old tin can he's pinched out of the bin  :D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

SueP

Quote from: turnedlight on October 14, 2010, 02:35:28 PM
I have laminate, the cheaper one from Wickes I think it was.

yep that's what I got  ;D ;D

Lush!

Quote from: Kaz on October 14, 2010, 10:33:37 PM
I  love your reprobate dog ;D

You'd have enjoyed today then - helped himself to a bag of sausage treats from a lady's pocket, she actually said it was an impressive trick  :D  :-[ :-[

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com