What to use on my new shedio floor?

Started by dinah46, October 13, 2010, 04:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilton Taylor

fwiw, absorbent wood floors (eg plywood, hardboard, etc) can be very effectively flame-proofed with a spray. Also, fabrics and paper products can be treated. In fact, it's kind of fun to sit in your torching chair with a spray bottle, and look around for burnable things to turn unburnable....

http://www.flints.co.uk/acatalog/Flame_Retardants.html

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Hamilton Taylor

Sadly, hoomins aren't absorbent enough. And, even though it stops things going on fire, it doesn't stop them getting reeeeeally hot.

Sean

squirsygirl

I was thinking you could use a-certain-person-in-my-office's face.

Been one of those weeks.

Seriously, I use that really thin board that you get at the back of self assembly wardrobes.  The shiny side is surprisingly scorch proof, and cos it's made from wood / cardboard pulp it's also warm.

Kirsty

dinah46

Thanks for all the helpful (and  others  ;D) suggestions.  If I knew how to get hold of the hospital flooring I'd definitely go with that as have serious envy of Kaz's shedio :D

However, failing any turning up :P, I think I'll go with the cheapo laminate and then put my old mats down again as I know for sure that they don't burn as they have been tested pretty well ::)  They are industrial mats which were the only perk of the old day job :)

Ilona

My hubby is a carpet fitter and came home with lots of hard wood samples that the flooring shops have on display and then chuck in the skip when a product is discontinued.

When I was using the spare bedroom as my studio, he laid it on top of the carpet and it worked a treat.

I then moved into the caravan studio and it was put down in there and it is fantastic and it was free :)

puffin

Hubby has got for my new tardis the same colour pink as the maxi kiln for the floor. A rubber flooring that he put down in one of liverpools gay clubs.

I have not seen it yet but hopefully there will be enough to do the worktop as well. All i need is the fluffy handcuffs  ;) ;)
Stacey

A Little Love Goes A Long Way

www.sillymooz.blogspot.com

Lush!

Oooh, that sounds fab Stacy - I'd love some!  Does it come in lime green?   ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

MangoBeads

Rubber flooring sounds cool - we considered teh stuff they use in milking parlours !!!! its very hardy rubber but only in black  :(

puffin

Julie - I will ask about Lime Green Rubber.

I love the fact my hubby is a floor layer I always look at the cool flooring he does for other people , we have left overs and he always does it plain. Our stairs carpet is pub carpet and it has been down 2 yrs it still looks brand new. my lounge is a bowling ally floor left overs  :P :P And now I have rubber . What next I wonder ???
Stacey

JaySpangles

I have got concrete.  It is filthy and dusty, looks awful and feels really cold.  But it doesn't smell when you drop hot glass on it.  Ah well - every cloud has a silver lining!

jammie

Mine's is concrete too because its the  add on outhouse bit and nothings ever been done to it by the lanlady, I dont mind as its a great place to torch... except it is so hard to keep clean, hoovering works best though.
Julie, I thought your pooch had had a personality change as you haven't posted about bluddy ******* dog, insert whatever mental thing hes been up to lately in the space.....   ;D ;D ;D

puffin

Julie - yes you can have a lime green floor in rubber or whatever you want but unfortunately its not a freebie off a job like my cast offs.

But in answer to the question - YES you can have lime green  ::) ::)
Stacey

Pat from Canvey

But rubber will melt when hot glass drops on it as it surely will.

puffin

i have no idea but hubby says suitable commercial stuff , vinyl melts , carpet burns most things get ruined when hot glass is on it except concrete , stone floors etc I expect.

Hubby is that paranoid with the safety he will do his up most to make it as safe as he can, the same as I am about the safety stuff when melting.

We have amtico in our lounge with a log burner so its the same thing if some coal gets on the floor it would melt so safety wise we would treat it the same as any hazard. The same if people have rugs in front of a log burner or open fire even if you have carpet, if you are not careful accidents can happen.

my hubby works with elf and safety all the time and hes never let me down yet with our floors at home  ;) ;) ;) And its free and pink !!!!!
Stacey