Started by awrylemming, October 10, 2010, 10:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krysia@No98

Quote from: helenfc on October 11, 2010, 06:01:42 PM
ps Krysia, i love your theory about your torch being on its way already!! :-*

got to control that excitement some how  ;D
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Fruddy

I've been on a Minor and Oxy-Con in the utility room now for a month and it is brilliant!

At the moment, I don't have any professional ventilation - looking to get this before the really cold weather sets in, but I have a hole in the wall directly above my torch and the door behind me fully open.  Because it is not a huge space and there is lots of air circulating I haven't had a problem as yet.  I have a carbon monoxide alarm, and I take regular breaks from the torch.

I honestly don't think that you can go wrong with a Minor as your next step up.

garishglobes

Having gone from a HH to a mega minor and then to a Bobcat, I would have to rate the Bobcat as a hotter, more intense flame for the same level of oxygen. There may not be a lot in it, but I know that I couldn't melt boro the same on my mega minor as I could on the Bobcat. I suspect the Cricket would be fairly close to a Bobcat, too.
I did love the mega minor for its ability to go from very thin flame to quite wide, bigger flame - I think it just depends what you are likely to want to do with it. I would definitely suggest trying a few out before committing, if you can.

Yellow friend

I have a Bobcat too - very good for fine work too.  I did ask Martin about the new torch - The Comet - but I think there a few things to be ironed out before it's launched. Was looking for a flame that can be made larger for generally heating larger pieces plus being able to do finer work as well - which is what this new torch is meant to be able to do.  I think it was in the range of about £250/£275 I think - best ask Martin - Something else to consider.
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

garishglobes

Comet?? Haven't heard of that one - but I'm sure it'll be out of this world  :D

Krysia@No98

oh dear.

Yeah Martin said that they had one to play with for a while.  I hope that there are some at the flame off to try.

oh why can't we have one every six months...
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

awrylemming

I'm beginning to think that the Minor isn't going to do what I want it to, and I won't be able to afford another one for ages.  Perhaps the bobcat would be the better choice, with the option of a second oxycon later  ???  Or a Lynx  ???  Or a Scorpion  ???  Or a Comet   ;D  It really isn't easy to decide is it - it's not particularly cheap kit, so I want to make sure I make the right choice, but not sure if I can hold off til after the Flame Off.
I still haven't got round to converting to bulk, so I may do that so at least that part of it is in place, sort out the workstation and ventilation, then wait patiently  ::)  until April.  Torture.

fionaess

Quote from: Yellow friend on October 12, 2010, 04:27:17 PM
I have a Bobcat too - very good for fine work too.  I did ask Martin about the new torch - The Comet - but I think there a few things to be ironed out before it's launched. Was looking for a flame that can be made larger for generally heating larger pieces plus being able to do finer work as well - which is what this new torch is meant to be able to do.  I think it was in the range of about £250/£275 I think - best ask Martin - Something else to consider.

Comet made by ?

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

julieHB

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

julieHB

Sorry, Emma - too slow again!  ::) :D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

garishglobes

Cross-posted!  :D :D :D

....do you think it is called a comet because of its space-age looks?

mizgeorge

Looks good, but I see it wants at least 5lpm oxy, which would rule out a lot of single oxycon users.

julieHB

I actually think your kid's microscope was spot on, Emma!!  ;D ;D That does not mean that it is not good, though, the specs look quite impressive.

Before I upgrade my lovely bobcat, though, I need more oxygen!!!

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

fionaess

Looks like Lego made a torch  ;D ;D ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !