What torch next?

Started by awrylemming, October 10, 2010, 10:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Quote from: julieHB on October 12, 2010, 05:46:39 PM
Here you are: http://www.waleapparatus.com/catalog.asp?prodid=677128&showprevnext=1

Actually, I think it's a transformer.....it normally sits on my munchkin's shelf as a colourful little car, but by night.............................. ;D ;D ;D
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Mary

Trudi, I have a Mega Minor, after having a Minor. It has a bushier flame, so it suits my large and long beads, but is still lovely and adjustable. I do boro on it, with 2 oxy-cons, but it runs fine on one.

sparrow

I have a mega minor too, and like it a lot...but I suppose you get used to what you have - I (like Mary) like the quite bushy flame, because it makes it easier to keep sculptural stuff warm. I've just changed my set-up to run it from two oxycons. I also have a midrange plus, but I mainly use the minor on it for teaching, and the midrange for huuuuuuuuuge(-ish ;)) murrini. I think you can really only play to find out what you like best!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

garishglobes

QuoteI think you can really only play to find out what you like best!

Agreed!  :)   I did like the mega minor's bushy flame and I think it is probably more adjustable than the Bobcat or the Cricket in terms of going from very small flame to nice warm bushy one, but I still think that the bobcat was the right move for me at the time - I couldn't go straight to 2 oxys and the bobcat allowed me to play with boro and find out whether I liked the stuff before committing to the extra oxycon. Maybe the mega minor would've done that too, I don't know - just that from my experience the bobcat did melt it easier. Although it is entirely possible that I was just blinded by the purple colour  :P

awrylemming

That's very kind.  Perhaps we can arrange it time wise at some point.  Thanks for the offer. :)

Krysia@No98

doesn't Sean have a load of torches set up at his studio?

It might be worth seeing if you can spend the day there if you really can't wait.

I would get yourself onto a bulk set up as soon as poss though, it really will save you money and it will be the starting point for you upgrading to your next torch.  That Mapp must be driving you NUTS
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

awrylemming

I HATE MAPP  >:(  And that was through gritted teeth.  I don't even need to list why, as so many of us have been subject to its whim.  Grrr.  Hence the joy at the thought of a new torch  ;D ;D ;D

Trudi

Ohh get rid of the Mapp - I know you have to lay out for the kit, but with what you're spending on Mapp gass t really will pay for itslef very quickly!!! I buy an 18kg propane tank for about£18/£19 and it lasts for months!

Yellow friend

And def go for an oxycon when you can - don't go down the route of getting oxygen bottles - I did and it cost for the licence, the connectors etc., and a large bottle of oxygen lasted me about 4 days.  They're very heavy and have to be chained up as they are potential bombs!
www.crocosmiajewellery.com
www.crocosmiajewellery.etsy.com

awrylemming

My family will never see me once I sort all this out.  ;D As you say, the Mapp is stupidly expensive, although I buy it at Tools 4 trade, which is quite a lot cheaper, £8.50.  But that obviously brings constraints as to how much time I can spend with the glass.
And I'm definitely going to go for an oxycon, not oxygen.  Who needs something else they can blow up?  ::)
Sooooo excited  :) :D ;D

SallyB

Hello Sue

I've been thinking of your situation and looking for your post so I could give my view. 

If you haven't already, I think you should buy your new set up as soon as you possibly can.  Why am I saying this you might ask?

Last week my husband did well enough on an online poker game (cost £3 to enter) to finally get himself a new pair of glasses (his were wonky).  Fortunately we went last weekend and got them.  We thought of waiting but decided not to and I am so glad we did.  This is why I'm glad.  Since we bought the glasses we've paid £110 for a new light he needed for his truck, £110 for a bit for my car because I had a bad water leak that meant my heater wasn't working and the car probably would have blown up if I'd driven too far and £75 excess because some nasty person smashed a window in my husband's truck trying to get in there to see what he had they thought they might like to steal.  So my point is that, something will always come along that needs your money so spend it like it's burning a hole in your pocket.
Might seem a bit extreme but I would be so upset if I ever had enough money to get a kiln (that's what I need) and something came along that needed the money.

Also, someone decided to go into my shed to see if there was anything they might like from it.  There wasn't but they broke the lock and checked in my locked box where I keep my glasses and lighters just to be sure.

I hope you are pleased with whatever torch you choose.  And I hope you don't think I'm wierd for being so passionate in my post.

Sally
xxx

stuwaudby

I recently upgraded (with the intention of using boro) to two oxycons and a Nortel midrange with minor piggyback. For beadmaking the midrange is excessive unless the bead is getting to the 1 inch plus size. 2 Oxys + a minor works well. If you get a midrange you will also need a minor for smaller beads. I rarely use the midrange now, but it comes in handy now and again. Last week I made a 3 inch long 1.5 inch diameter boro cylinder bead with it

In summary:
One oxycon (5 litre / minute) + nortel minor struggles with boro, it can be done but take alot of time.
Two oxycons (10 litres . minute) + nortel minor is about right for boro upto about 1 inch diameter. Beyond that the heating time is impractical.
Two oxycons + midrange tends to melt your mandrel either side of the beads.
One Oxycon + midrange works surprisingly well, but i dont recommend.

I wish I had bought a mega minor to use with 2 ocycons, instead of the midrange.

fionaess

Quote from: stuwaudby on October 29, 2010, 01:25:55 PM
Last week I made a 3 inch long 1.5 inch diameter boro cylinder bead with it

Wowow... sounds more like a deadly weapon than a bead  ;D ;D ;D ;D  Pics of the Ginormous One please :)

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

awrylemming

Quote from: stuwaudby on October 29, 2010, 01:25:55 PM
I recently upgraded (with the intention of using boro) to two oxycons and a Nortel midrange with minor piggyback. For beadmaking the midrange is excessive unless the bead is getting to the 1 inch plus size. 2 Oxys + a minor works well. If you get a midrange you will also need a minor for smaller beads. I rarely use the midrange now, but it comes in handy now and again. Last week I made a 3 inch long 1.5 inch diameter boro cylinder bead with it

In summary:
One oxycon (5 litre / minute) + nortel minor struggles with boro, it can be done but take alot of time.
Two oxycons (10 litres . minute) + nortel minor is about right for boro upto about 1 inch diameter. Beyond that the heating time is impractical.
Two oxycons + midrange tends to melt your mandrel either side of the beads.
One Oxycon + midrange works surprisingly well, but i dont recommend.

I wish I had bought a mega minor to use with 2 ocycons, instead of the midrange.

After reading this and speaking to Teresa I'm leaning more towards the mega minor, as I will probably still use more soft glass than boro.  I need to 'have a go' on a few different torches, so I may organise a couple of lessons with people who have different torches.  Is that information up on the board?  Off to look now.
And thanks for your lovely concise info, it was very helpful   :)

Frenchie

Just for my two pence worth  - I LOVE my mega minor. It's a busy flame but still adjustable and is nice and hot!  Wouldn't change it.....but I guess I would say that as I guess everybody loves their torch for their own reasons.