What torch next?

Started by awrylemming, October 10, 2010, 10:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awrylemming

I am hoping that I will be able to afford a 'big girls' torch before Xmas - long story, car accident, idiot driving, owwie neck ... Anyway, the upshot of it is that I will have a small sum to spend on me!!  :o
So, what to buy?? I would love to venture a little into boro but have no idea what that needs, and as much as I enjoy my nice no pressure hothead, I would love to play with silver glass too.  And since I am working out of the kitchen, it has to be set up in such a way that I can put away, if it's possible to do so.  Easy with the hothead, but probably not so much when you throw hoses and an oxycon into the mix.  And ventilation - currently on open doors and windows, will that be enough?
So many questions, and my brain is shrinking with advanced age (44)  :D  According to my 15 year old  :P
Your wisdom would be appreciated  :-*

helbels

Hi

Well there's a few things to consider based in what you've said :

1) All big girls torches will require at least one oxycon.  If you are really serious about Boro then in the long run you might even need 2.

2) The "next step up" from a hothead would be a Nortel Minor or a Cricket, but even those will be slow with Boro.

3) To do Boro well I think you need a Lynx or above, but I am sure a Boro expert will be along shortly

4) Yes you will need better ventilation.  Check out progrow.co.uk and give them a call for advice.  They are very helpful and used to lampwork questions.

5) You can use all reducing silver glass already with you hothead!

Hope that helps

Helen

Mand

You need a Minor!

Oxycons have wheels so they are movable ;)

Am sure you could rig up a barley box type of portable ventilation thang which you could put up an down at will.

I agree with Helen - Progrow are really good, and you will need an extractor. :)

Steampunkglass

I'd say a minor too, it's such a good torch! As Helen has already said, if you go to boro you really are better with two oxys. I've found you can do boro on a minor with two oxys, but it will be a little slower to do.

garishglobes

I'd go with a Bobcat. You can start doing small boro on a bobcat with one oxy and at least get a taste for it before moving to 2.. though 2 are always preferable.
I just love my Bobcat  :)

mizgeorge

I'd say cricket. Because they're designed to work with lower pressures they handle boro (certainly on a small scale) with no problems on one oxy. And they're so pretty.

I don't know where you are geographically, but it's well worth trying to get to meet up with people with a couple of the alternatives to see which torch suits you better.

Krysia@No98

While the flame off so close (and alas yet still so far away) are you able to hold out until you get there?

I too am in the market for a new torch and for me am kinda leaning towards a bobcat but as much as I want to rush out an buy one now (Now, NOW!! and breath in and slowly breathing out) I am waiting 'til the flame off where I fully intent on trying out (more then) a few torches.

I know it's pants to wait but I think that it is the best plan in the long run.

(I was talking to Martin, Teresa and Simon as a show recently and they said that the torches for the flame off are already on order.  So even though I don't know which one is going to be mine it is already on it's way to me  ;D )
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Trudi

I'm on a minor which I love - I noticed the Matin as a mega minor on his site - I've never used one, wonder what they're like!

I know when I was in Stourbridge Martin was talking about a new torch - but not sure when that will be available.

Would be a good idea to give Martin or Sean a call to talk through your requirements.

But you will definately need to get some ventilation sorted.

Mand

I tried out loads at Flame off, Cricket, Bobcat, a couple of Carlisle thingumy jigs.  Think I tried out a Mega Minor, and it was like using a flame thrower after my old HH! :P :o ;D

awrylemming

Okay, who's near Middlesex with a variety of torches for me to dribble over????  I don't think Jo will appreciate my testing out her torch right at the moment  ::)
It's worse than being a child in a sweetshop (mostly cos I'm paying) and there is too much choice.  I could hang out til the Flame Off, but as we all know, cash for onself has a tendency to get frittered away on everything else around the house, and then there's Christmas between ...  Oh, and the upcoming VAT rise that would be rather nice to avoid  ;D
I shall Google the ventilation people and take their advice on board though, as once I have an idea of what that will be like and the cost, it might be easier to organise my setup.  I think a little restraint may be needed, as it's so easy to just buy 'stuff' without too much thought and in the end find out that it's not right for you.
Speaking of which, I might put a pair of new jeans in the giveaway section ....  :P

fionaess

I would recommend a GTT Bobcat,,,  because it gives you enough fire power to do both soft and small boro and the option in the future to go up to 2 oxycons and do bigger boro   ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

catriona

I,ve got a midrange plus which gives you the best off two worlds it has the larger midrange on the bottom for boro and a minor piggy back style on top but you do need 2 oxys with it .i really like it now i,m getting used to the hotter flame .
xxcatxx

helenfc

i looooove my bobcat...wouldnt change it for the world. I got to work for a bit on a minor this summer, and it just didnt have the same controllable heat, still a lovely torch though :) i guess it depends what your used to.
I did notice that everyone who has posted (i think) has recommended their own torch though!  :D :D :D

ps Krysia, i love your theory about your torch being on its way already!! :-*

beadysam

I love my Bobcat, but always wanted to upgrade to a Lynx.  After seeing Stacys Scorpion I need a Scorpion... 

caraj316

I've got a mini-cc which I like a lot.

I only use it for soft atm and it has more than enough firepower for that, but I have heard that a second Oxycon will oomph it up enough for boro.