Main Menu

Boro Gallery October 2010

Started by garishglobes, October 01, 2010, 10:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacy

Here is something I've been working on. Sorry about the photo, I took it yesterday but didn't check they were any good until today. I can't retake them as its now gone to its new home.

These are a smaller version of something I'd like to make more of and my first attempt. There are loads of things I would like to do better next time but isn't that always the case. The links on the chains are all separate and each one is about 5mm in diameter (possibly a bit bigger) but I can't remember to be honest. I hope you can get an idea of what I was trying to do inspite of the picture.

Marcel

Beautiful blown beads and i love the glass chains :)
Here is my dragon in a stone pendant.

Hamilton Taylor

Emma, your beads look fab - you're going to have to come and give me a colour class!
Stacy, if those links are 5mm, that's really detailed work, fantastic.
Marcel, where are you? Do you teach?

I finished my orchid for the Scottish Glass Society auction, and am very proud, so please excuse the hog:

PaphClose by Sean (Hamilton) Taylor, on Flickr

PaphFront by Sean (Hamilton) Taylor, on Flickr

PaphSide by Sean (Hamilton) Taylor, on Flickr

Marcel

Thank you all for the cool comments about the eye ;D
Sean the Orchid is just amazing wow!!
I do teach and in my Studio in the Netherlands. ;)
Sometime i am invited to teach in another studio in the Netherlands
and i have given Demo's in Canada.

Hamilton Taylor

On and off, about 20 hours - but I was very much feeling my way, pretty much making the design up as I went along, which meant problem-solving all the way. Once pieces started to come together, I was annealing as I went, which probably meant it went through the kiln way more often than it needed to.

I like the overall look, so I will develop it a bit, but I have definitely learned a few things:

• Do a drawing. It helps to know what you are making. (I didn't do this because I'm crap at drawing - but any kind of sketch helps)
  • Plan ahead. The bits go together like a kit, so divide the design into sensible bits and design each bit up front, before setting torch to glass
  • Work slowly, and flame anneal every joint before moving on - I found myself rushing to get to the next bit, and having checking problems later
  • Make sure your oven is big enough to do a full anneal at the end - doh!

Overall, I did far more work than needed, because I started out to make a 'sketch', and halfway through it started to look decent, so I had to 'unsketchify' it. But then, I never was one to do things the easy, or sensible, way...   ::)

Sean

fionaess

I've posted a few new boro sets in the gallery but thought you might like to see this as well....

P1020795 by Fiona1953, on Flickr

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

fionaess

Ermm.. wait for it.. its NS light yellow over NS Ruby.. and yes, it is blue..... hahahahahaha

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Marcel

Tan that is one awesome piece wow  and what a Beautiful Heart  ;) just love the color.
Here is a spoon with eye mixing
my green make belief Absinth  ;D

garishglobes

I love the eye too - how big is it?

I turned all "fashion colours" yesterday and made things in blacks, greys and tans. Well, at least that was the plan - but caramel goes grey over black, and the moonstone colour I have turns blue!  So not much tan, and a bit of blue... but blacks and greys too  :)

Black and grey heart by Flying Bead, on Flickr

Blown bead, blacks and greys by Flying Bead, on Flickr

Moonstone hedgehog by Flying Bead, on Flickr

Steampunkglass

Loving those blown beads still Emma! ;D

Been experimenting with making solid handles for the razors with a more organic feel, as well as making 'normal' razor handles.

Marcel

Ooooh i love the razors they look waaay better than the plastic one i got :D
Thank you all so much for the compliments.
I am experimenting with light and created this Northern light effect.
Here are some pictures of them.

Marcel

That is so true Boro is fun  ;D here is a rose pendant i call
Universal Love.

garishglobes

With apologies for the size (it's either this size or tiny on Flickr, as far as I can see  ::)) I've been practising blown discs over the weekend:

Fire blown glass bead by Flying Bead, on Flickr

Turquoise disc by Flying Bead, on Flickr

glasseyeyes

OOOOOOOOhhhh, light effects are really cool!  Blown beads are gorgeous, but I have to say, I do really like the rose in your bead Marcel, it's so neat and crisp.  Still loving the dragons eye pendant as well. :)

I managed to get the boro out, I probably won't do boro until I can afford another oxycon, (maybe farther Christmas may be nice to me hopefully), I did this bead which I am very pleased about, or I should say pleased with the mane really, but the colours went all yuccy.... :(

Dawn