What can I stand my Mandrels in????

Started by Fruddy, August 27, 2010, 08:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruddy

Hi folks,

I was just wondering what you guys used to standing your mandrels in, ready for use, when they have been prepared with bead release?  I am trying to remember what Sabine used when I visited her studio - she had then standing in something - but I can't for the life of me remember what!!  Is a cake tin, or something like that, any good with sand in?? 

Recommendations and suggestions pleeeeze!

All my kit should be here by the middle of next week, Studio worktops are now fitted, so hopefully in the next week or so, I should be ready to rock!!! ;D

jammie

Wood block drilled with holes maybe..... or I think people do use a tin bucket but not sure what they fill them with.
Mines is an old cribbage  box which already had holes drilled for the pegs, seemed holding mandrels was a much better use.   :D

shaz

Plant pots or old pots filled with sand :D
Sharon x

Sulis (Hazel)

I've been using a plant pot 3/4 filled with sand for the past 4 years or so - perfect for me :)

eta : great minds think alike Shaz :)
Hazel x

Dragonfire Glass

Fruddy

Brilliant - thanks folks!

Nice and cheap as well - after the amount of money that I have spent in the last couple of weeks, my hubby is likely to have a seizure if I order anything else from Tuffnells or Off Mandrel!!!! ;D ;D ;D

sarah t

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Failariel on August 27, 2010, 08:23:11 PM
Quote from: jammie on August 27, 2010, 08:15:09 PM
Wood block drilled with holes

That's what I use  :)
Me too! I've also heard of people using pots filled with sand (no drilling!) and oasis foam that them flower arrangers use!

poledra1958

flower pot  (one without the hole in bottom ) filled with sand

Jenny

HH on Bulk,

isc

I use a flower pot with some sand in. There was a pile of sand in the garden that was left by the previous owner that I used and managed to get mandrels surrounded by a little green cress-like plant that somehow grew in the darkness of the garage. Made me smile :)
Clare x

Ilona

Nikki

I have some old mugs filled with sand, the handle is useful if you are moving them around ;D

Redkite

Sand for me too, in a flower pot. I love the crunching sound when I "plant" the mandrel!

bluefairy

Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

AnnaSpanna

I also have a drilled wooden block.... But then I am slightly predisposed to having nice orderly lines when I dip my mandrels. So I am trying to break this foible and now have several jars filled with vermiculite - now I find myself arranging the mandrels in pretty symmetrical patterns instead...