What can I stand my Mandrels in????

Started by Fruddy, August 27, 2010, 08:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruddy

Quote from: AnnaSpanna on August 29, 2010, 06:01:47 PM
I also have a drilled wooden block.... But then I am slightly predisposed to having nice orderly lines when I dip my mandrels. So I am trying to break this foible and now have several jars filled with vermiculite - now I find myself arranging the mandrels in pretty symmetrical patterns instead...

Oh blimey.... you sound just like me!  I'm one of those people who loves order and hates mess and chaos.. i'm already mentally planning exactly where everything is going to go in the studio - have fished a load of old kilner jars without lids out of the attic - perfect for storing glass rods, I think!  Plus which I have found a load of old Sarsons pickling jards which are slightly smaller - they seem pretty damn good for holding stringer!!

Blue Box Studio

I use old baked bean tins (or similar!) filled with vermiculite.  But then I only have a few mandrels.  You can get about 12 in each.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

GaysieMay

I had a catering size tin with sand, but have up graded to a vase, after finding one whilst clearing the garage, I feel quite posh now! ;)
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

AnnaSpanna

Quote from: Fruddy on August 29, 2010, 07:08:19 PM
have fished a load of old kilner jars without lids out of the attic - perfect for storing glass rods, I think! 

Just wait till you discover the joys of drainpipe for stashing your glass in.... all stacked in a nice cabinet (mine's from ikea) and colour co-ordinated. Pure bliss!

Hotglass28

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Dickie

Sarah uses a small 4 or 5" galvanised plant pot from Ikea, with some red sand (flower decorating style) also from Ikea. Looks nice too.
Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

mizgeorge

I nick my daughter's Easter Egg buckets (nice little tin ones with winnie the pooh etc on them) and fill with playsand, so same idea but less pretty!

Les

rocky

Quote from: Dickie on September 06, 2010, 07:43:54 PM
Sarah uses a small 4 or 5" galvanised plant pot from Ikea, with some red sand (flower decorating style) also from Ikea. Looks nice too.

Hmmm ... galvanised plant pots. I knew there was a reason why I needed to go to Ikea :) They would look better than my old plastic measuring jug with potting compost  :P
Deanne x

Dickie

Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

Pat from Canvey

If you want to use sand, specify "fine sand" not sand from the beach.

Les

I use a chunk of flower arrangers oasis, still shrink wrapped so that I don't get bits everywhere :)

jobead

I feel left out now, I have no pot, no sand, no wood with holes.

I dip em and stick em on the rod rest, flame dry if I need to. I'm more disorganised than I thought  :-[

:)
Jo

Kalorlo

I have an empty ice cream tub (the bucket-shaped kind) with my leftover annealing bubbles that don't fit in the container I use for them in it.

Jo: my rod rest tends to be fairly full of rods, and I dip more mandrels than it has slots for at a time.  :)

jobead

Yup I am a very slow dipper ! I tend to work in shorts bursts and then get called upon to do something mundane  :(