Can I run a Hot Head on Propane?

Started by Clare Scott, April 06, 2007, 10:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare Scott

Helllooooo!

Can I run my Hot Head on Propane (going to get the bulk set up on Tues as I am going through MAPP far too much! The addiction has started!)

If so,
1. Which can is it exactly  - i wana get the right one!
2. what Is the largest can I can buy without going bulk
3. Does the Torch need to be altered in any way to use Propane?

Thankyooooou! :)

Billie

You can purchase a bulk fuel kit from Tufnells to use propane - the propane canisters have a different fitting to the mapp gas so I don't think you'll be able to use your HH without getting the conversion kit. 

BeadyBugs

Hi Clare,

Probably a wise decison, MAPP is so expensive, and cuts out all the time.

If you are getting one of Martin's bulk set ups, that will be all you need, then a cylinder of propane.  I got my first one from here (7th item down.  And this orange cylinder of 6kg Propane will lasts about 50-60 hours, and is not too big that it can be moved easily.

You could also try your local tip/recycling centre for an empty cylinder, ask the guys nicely and they may let you have one for nothing or a sneaky fiver, then you only have to pay to have it refilled, and not pay the £25 to rent one initially.  You can either take your tank to be refilled, or find a local place that delivers (You pay your £14 and they swap it for a full one).  On the Calor gas site, you can do a search for local suppliers.

And you will have to get a bulk set up if you are swtching to Propane, what ever size the can/cylinder.  It has a regulator, hosing, an adapter, and importantly a flash back arrestor, which stops the flame backing up down the hose to the cylinder and going BANG!!

And no, the torch doesn't have to be altered to run on propane, you just screw it to the bulk setup and you are away!

Glad to hear we've created another addict!  ;D ;D ;D

HP x
Helen P

Clare Scott

Thankyou!

Boo :( was hoping to get some small cans of Propane today coz I`m out of MAPP and dont wanna buy anymore.
But YAY! Tuesday is only 4ish days away!!

Oh, Helen, is it ok to send you some beads on Tuesday?

Clare :)

Clare Scott

So how come you dont need a flashback arrestor with MAPP (non bulk) but you do with Propane (non bulk) ?
Just curious!

:)

Caroline

i don't think you NEED a flash back arrestor but as propane tanks are quite big and you are dealing with gas and fire etc it's there as an extra safety procaution, can's of Mapp have limited gas in them and airn't as presured as propane

Clare Scott

I was going to get a small MAPP sized Propane canister for the time being. (Coz they are cheaper!)
Would that be ok?
I`m just being tight with my money!! haha!
:)

*Nicky*

Are you wanting to run a can of propane straight onto your hothead (like mapp) as i dont think you can do that as HH are designed to fit cans of MAPP ?

BeadyBugs

Hi Clare,

Ahhh, am I right in thinking you are going to get some of the MAPP sized cans of Propane?  If so, don't bother, they will melt glass, but you will have a lovely collection of black beads.  They chuck out loads of soot and rubbish.  I tried it cos I was struggling to fund my MAPP habit too, and ended up binning the stuff. :(  The only propane that works is the stuff in the larger cylinders as in the link above, not sure why, whether it's to do with pressures??  Maybe some of our wiser lampworkers will know the techy reasons.

You can attach the small ones to your HH in the same way as MAPP, but I suspect you may be wasting your money.  Get the bulk setup if you can, or stick to MAPP.

And yep - feel free to send the beads over Clare, and I'll bake them for you, looking forward to seeing them. :)

HP x
Helen P

Clare Scott

Thankyou you magical people!
This forum is fab!

Guess I`ll just have to wait. Nevermind.
Must learn to be patient!

(Thanks Helen, I hope they dont crack!)

♥♥Tan♥♥

Guys, I thought I read somewhere that just propane can blacken some colours, is this true? What are your experiences with just propane?

Bluebottle

Hi guys,
Just to clear up one of these strange urban myths You DON'T need a flashback arrestor if you are using only propane or mapp as with a hot head, it is only needed where you are using oxygen from  a convertor or cylinder mixed with propane where the  mixture could forseeably burn back into the hose and cylinder (highly unlikely unless there is an unusual equipment failure) it is a bit like saying you need an arrestor on all propane appliances like cookers, lamps, fridges etc it just isn't required or needed, I don't know where this myth originated but probably from the strange nanny state we live in these days. Anybody that tries to tell you otherwise is trying to extract needless cash from you, don't fall for it.

Mike  (retd gas fitter)

♥♥Tan♥♥

glassworks

thanks mike, that is exactly the advice we give all our customers too having had it in writing from all the torch manufacturers we stock! "better safe than sorry" has been used to justify a lot of extra expense which is just not justified... as far as urban myths go it has been hard to convince people but advice from the gas fitters mouth is priceless!!

thanks for all the other feedback on this thread - it is excellent advice to a good question!!

8)

Clare Scott

Thanks for all the advice,

Whats the crack with using just Propane? Does it blacken colours - as in the above thread?

Thanks Helen for the cheap canister advice!
Went to the local skip and got a 19kg for £3!! BONUS!
Actually I`m not allowed to say I got it from the skip.....hmmmm I sorta found it somewhere maybe.....!