HH Torch not working!

Started by Mand, January 20, 2010, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mand

Hello, can anybody please help?  ???

I spent an hour out in my cold, damp cold shed this morning making one bead, which went very well.  I stopped for lunch, turned off the HH torch, left the propane tank on  :o and popped in the house for 15mins.  (Have done this many times ;))  Went back out  turned the torch on, lit the match and all I could hear was a faint whispering "psssss"  not the usual loud "PIIIIIIIIISCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHH" sound. I tried many times to light the torch, I eventually got a dolly size little blue flame which I could see through the holes in the torch at the base and then "pft!"  it went out.  I checked the propane tank, I can hear the gas slooshing around inside, I reckon it's about half full, so I'm definitely not out of gas.   I've turned it all off and on again, checked the push fit valve on the quick release section, checked all the hosing and it seems absolutely fine.  I just don't get it. ???  I've now disconnected teh quick release hosing ad noticed when I did that it didn't make the loud hissing sound that it always does.

I'm wondering, is 3 degrees (goodness didn't realise it was that cold today) too low for propane to flow properly?  I've just brought the cylinder in the house to "warm" it up a bit at room temp..  This has never happened before.  I really hope my torch isn't broken.

Any - sensible ;)- advice or suggestions would be most helpful.....

Thanks,

Mand x

GlassOcean

This exact thing happened to me lovely, I had to completely take my HH to bits and clean it, I think I used nail varnish remover but I am not certain, it could have been white spirit.  I just put some in an old jar and left it to soak over night, the next day it was right as rain!

Find a clever person to ask though because I can't remember what I used to clean it.

My torch was left outside on a hook, I used to unclip it from my bench, coil up the hose and fling it out of the window onto a bent bit of pipe!  I only ever had to clean it once because it was blocked!

Mand

Oh bum!  I can only change lightbulbs, I'm not good at stuff like taking things apart  ::) :P  I once got 0/15 at scholl in science for wiring up an electrical plug :-[

Hamilton Taylor

Could it be that the regulator isn't open far enough?

Mand

I tried that , it seems to be open.  I just don't understand it, I've had the torch for over 2 and half yrs now and it's been lit hundreds of times. ???

Magpie

Mine did exactly the same last year in the cold. So my propane came inside to warm up. These gas cylinders, no stamina, can't cope with the cold.  ;)

Dragonfire Glass

Krysia@No98

I had a funny flame a while back and then I discovered a big lump of glass in it from where a bead had thermal shocked with passion.  It must have been in there for ages  ::)

Anyway - I waited for it to cool down and fished out the bit I could see and then held it upside down and shook it loads.  It was fine after that.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

helbels

I had this problem last week - my propane tank was a bit low, so I changed it for a new one.  I can now light the HH again, but it's definitely showing much more of a tendency to extinguish itself than it did a couple of weeks ago, so I suspect it might have something to do with the cold.

Mand

Quote from: Failariel on January 20, 2010, 03:46:45 PM
Empty propane tank?

Nah, tried that,  it's sloshy! ;)

Hmm, do I dare taking my torchy to bits. I think that if I do, it will never be the same again  ::)

Mand

I also looked down the torch for lumps and didn't see any?

Katiequiggle

Oh no, I don't know the answer to this one, My tank lives inside my shed but having said that according to my kiln temp it was minus 3 on many occasions during the big freeze the other week and I was still using my HH during this time before my oxycon arrived so not sure its temp though I do know it does affect things. 

I need mine for a demo at a womens club thing soon but you're welcome to borrow it after I've done that begining of Feb. if you try everything suggested and it still doesn't work.  Have you given Martin a ring, he was brilliant when mine was leaking.

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Mand on January 20, 2010, 04:16:19 PM
I also looked down the torch for lumps and didn't see any?

have you tried giving it a good shake and bashing it a bit (it's brass so you don't need to be timid  ;D)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Mand

OK thanks Katie, that's kind of you, I'll bear that in mind.  I will try my tank again in the morning as it will be utility room temp by then.  May get DH to unscrew and check the  torch as well tonight.  I don't "do" spanners or screwdrivers...  ::) :P

Actually, I will ask him if I can bash it as I'm feeling rather pre-menstrual today ...gnnnnnnnarrrrrrghh! :-X

jammie

I spose you already did the tinfoil around the holes bit  ???