Adding stuff to the mix?

Started by madpup, January 18, 2010, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madpup

I notice on flea-bay that there are beads that has things added ie:
incased in the bead things like copper, sliver mesh and foil,
three questions
1)does theses beads not break when they cool down?
2)is the foil kitchen foil?
3)How can they sell beads cheaper than the cost of the raw glass
including a silver lining?
i made a critter that used about £1-£2 in glass not including the gas and time,
not that i want to make money, but a lot of you on here does, i then see a glass critter
on fleabay  £12 per 50 (24p each) so to compete you guys have to work for £1ph or less??
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

Carol

Carol

Margram

Made in a hurry, possibly not annealed, maybe inferior glass and will break somewhere down the line, workers not paid properly, bad working conditions... >:(
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

noora

1) No they don't break from metal inclusions (unless you add way too much metal, perhaps...)
2) Probably not, I don't think kitchen foil stands the heat of a lampwork torch. Most of us use silver foil (as in real silver), but there must be cheaper alternatives too since I can't believe the cheap mass produced foil beads contain any traces of real silver... I hope some of the pros can provide more info since I'm just guessing :)
3) Chinese workers don't have the same wages as we do ;) They can mass produce beads at incredible speed and I guess they get the glass at bulk prices. And I doubt the silver cores are real silver...

madpup

My first estimate was way off, its more like -£2ph
So how do you compete with the Chinese workers?
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

Karen

you don't ! many members on the board they get repeat business because their beads and great looking,great quality and very well made
I don't sell items on ebay anymore I got depressed being under cut by carp!
Karen

Stupid people shouldn't breed, but they DO!!

noora

Quality rather than quantity :) I'd rather sell one bead for $20 than ten beads for $2 each anyway... 

Redhotsal

Quote from: Noodle on January 18, 2010, 04:59:01 PM
yes, it's like some kind of fishy Mafia.....!  ;)

I learned not to even try and compete with Chinese and Indian beads. They have their place and some of them are a nice-ish quality but generally people soon see a huge difference in quality between those beads and "artisan" lampwork. I have customers who start out with cheap lampwork but once they've gotten a taste for the good stuff they don't go back.

Cheap lampwork has jagged bead holes, is often cracked before you buy it and is never annealed. They don't bother cleaning the bead holes. Of course all this extra care we take (or should take!) means that you pay more but there's nothing worse than using a cheapo bead and seeing it fall off your jewellery because it has cracked.

If you want to see some quality lampwork on Ebay check it out:
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?MA2ShowItems&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283&_rdc=1&_sop=3&_sticky=1&_fln=1&_nkw=lampwork+beads&LH_Complete=1&_sc=1&guest=1

garishglobes

Now, some of those are stunning!  :o

Some, it has to be said, less so...
http://cgi.ebay.com/lampwork-MURZNO-glass-bead-fit-PANDORA-10000-Pcs-Hot_W0QQitemZ320462591694QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9d0f16ce
but at least even this seller is honest - "Ebay price is lowest, quality had better".   ;D

Redhotsal

Hmm...that Murzno glass - is that from near Venize?  ;)

kerensky

Quote from: Redhotsal on January 18, 2010, 07:48:09 PM
Hmm...that Murzno glass - is that from near Venize?  ;)

Stop - right now - cos I am about to wet myself!

Veebee

Quote from: caraj316 on January 18, 2010, 10:12:20 PM
Quote from: garishglobes on January 18, 2010, 06:57:34 PM
Now, some of those are stunning!  :o

Some, it has to be said, less so...
http://cgi.ebay.com/lampwork-MURZNO-glass-bead-fit-PANDORA-10000-Pcs-Hot_W0QQitemZ320462591694QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9d0f16ce
but at least even this seller is honest - "Ebay price is lowest, quality had better".   ;D

These also say "stamped 925 on the core...Beads with silver plated core."

Hmmm

You almost have to admire the poetry.....
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

Vicki

Quote from: Redhotsal on January 18, 2010, 06:39:26 PM
Quote from: Noodle on January 18, 2010, 04:59:01 PM
yes, it's like some kind of fishy Mafia.....!  ;)

:D that made me chuckle proper

sparrow

Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

turnedlight

I just looked - did someone really pay $202 for those?  :o
kathryn