Everything you wanted to know about CLEANING YOUR BEADS

Started by SilverGems89, January 13, 2010, 11:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocolateteapot

Gemma...just another quickie...bead release its dangerous stuff..dont inhale the dust..use mask and remove bead release while beads are in water..be safe from the start love..xx
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

SilverGems89

Would a normal dust mask do Tracy? I can "borrow" one of those from work  :P

Hels4444

I have just brought a new hobby dremel - really love it x

MangoBeads

Quote from: Terri on January 14, 2010, 10:24:30 AM
Manda

Looked on you site and couldn't find the listing for grits.  Where abouts are they?

Everyone else

Tried Beady Sam site but it's closed.  What are Jocks grits and where do you get them from?  Googled Dirt Louis and no joy other than a video of someone using it.

Listing them this afternoon !

helenfc

terri - its 'dirty looie's' bead release, if you type that into google it comes up  :)
i find my tuffnells reamer and sitting in front of the TV very relaxing though, and depending on which starter kit you are going for, a diamond reamer comes with it  ;D

Lush!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Veebee

Quote from: Tracy on January 13, 2010, 11:24:02 PM
I use Beady Sams grits, no sore fingers from stabbing with the reamer either  ;D

I have these and find cleaning very therapeutic. I think Manda's will be the same thing?
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

chocolateteapot

Gemma. I use a normal dust mask for it and goggles when drilling ..purely cos you never know if a drill bit were to come loose ...wouldnt be pretty..and bits of glass would be a nightmare.
A regular dust mask is fine if your drilling in water. Cos the the water contains the dust. Remember tho that the dusks mask are only good for a short while...read instructions in the pack.
I am looking for a fab mask for when i use silver glass and metals when flaming cos thats dangerous too. But i dont know which is the best one to use. Just trying to make you safe love.
Those diamond bits that Lush (Julie) has put up look brilliant value..but cant tell what diameter they are...better deal than anything i have seen.

Tracy xx
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

BeeBeads

I use Jocks grit too, bought at Flame Off last year (on Dianne's recommendation) and it works a treat.
The top of my tub has the web address www.jocks-glas.com (sorry I don't know how to do a link  ::) )
and it was £5 for a 250g tub if that's any help.

Bee

madpup

Could you please what is in the bead release dust that makes it dangerous
as there is no hazzard warnings on the pot?  ???
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

TamsynAmber

It's the fact that it is clay based that makes it dangerous when it's in it's dust form. The same rules apply when you work with ceramics.

Just out of interest, does anyone know what else is in bead release other than clay?

madpup

It took some finding, so here it is, the product safty sheet for bead release,
http://www.yourriogrande.com/downloads/applications/DocumentLibraryManager/upload/701406.pdf
why this stuff does not have a health warning is beyond me  ??? ???
this stuff is as bad as asbestos  :o
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

Betty the Chook

I use a battery operated dremel (not as violent and fast as the plug in one) and do it with lots of water. Another reason to stay away from the plug in one. I just couldn't cope with being electrocuted! I use a Beadreamer thingy and it works a treat and is nice and fast.

Re the dust: water to mix it in outside with a dust mask, water to remove the beads in and more water when cleaning (and then tip it on the garden 'cos we are in drought here in Australia and my soil is sand, so the clay is all good).
I'm really a Fiona, not a Betty the Chook.
It's just that I rather like hens
.... more than a bit actually

http://www.rhinoglassbeads.com

Pat from Canvey

The most pertinent bit there is "In moist form non-hazardous" so clean beads under water.