Everything you wanted to know about CLEANING YOUR BEADS

Started by SilverGems89, January 13, 2010, 11:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krysia@No98

Quote from: madpup on January 25, 2010, 07:43:48 PM
Could you please what is in the bead release dust that makes it dangerous
as there is no hazzard warnings on the pot?  ???

I have been told that bead release is effectively kiln wash or kiln slip by it's other name.  (again my understanding is.. ) that all this is is very runny clay (or Clay + lots of water OR clay suspended in water)

So when it dries and flakes of because it hasn't all been pushed together into a lump it comes of as power and its this power form that makes it so very dangerous when you breath it in.  If you work with clay and you are sanding down a piece (before or after firing) you need to do it out side with a mask on, bla bla...

I don't think you get hazzard warning on the clay...  In general

If it's not food, don't eat it and if it's not air try not to breath it  ;D
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Krysia@No98

oh yeah, I have a plug in dremel that has a long bit on to I can hang it up over the sink far away from the water and still clean the beads in the sink with the water. (washing up liquid and cilit bang)

I think I am going to order me some of those bits from ebay...

Nick

Hi,

Diamond drill bits must be used with a coolant/lubricant to prevent overheating and to prolong their working life. I use a bowl of water to ream my beads. I use a plug in Dremel with a flex shaft (so there is less risk of dropping the Dremel in the water) and a Flex-Shaft Tool Holder to support the Dremel.

http://www.dremeleurope.com/dremelocs-uk/Product.jsp;jsessionid=1A15712E031C614D27634192379A11A0?&ccat_id=527&prod_id=235

It is cheaper to buy a kit that includes the Dremel and flex-shaft.

Also a set of diamond bits. The set of bits I use are like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30-pc-Diamond-Burr-Set-Dremel-etc-/330346378541?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4cea2db52d#ht_1090wt_913

(never used this site) I get mine from a lapidary club but they are the same ones. Dremels are not cheap but I have had mine a long time and it is very good tool.
I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Nick on July 11, 2010, 12:20:53 AM
Diamond drill bits must be used with a coolant/lubricant to prevent overheating and to prolong their working life. I use a bowl of water to ream my beads. I use a plug in Dremel with a flex shaft (so there is less risk of dropping the Dremel in the water) and a Flex-Shaft Tool Holder to support the Dremel.

That is very close to the set up that I have.  But I have mine handing from a hook over my sink, so there is no way I can drop it (I'm a bit of a cluts)

I try not to use it for too long though coz it get fuzzy hands  ;)

Meagan Lily

mm, I use a dremel with a flexi shaft in a bowl of water too. If you keep the bead under the water there is no dust involved. You're in more danger when you are taking beads off the mandrel and cleaning up the inevitable bits that fall off. I either hoover up the dust or use a water spry to clean my bench. A word of warning about using a sink...you will eventually have problems with a blocked waste  :o

Krysia@No98

at that point it wil be a really good reason to change the really poopy much hated kitchen

Nick

Hi,

I always leave the beads to cool right down and then put them in a jar of water whilst still on the mandrel. I only remove the beads once they have had a soak to eliminate the dust caused when removing them.

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Meagan Lily on August 22, 2010, 11:33:55 PM
Quote from: Krysia on August 22, 2010, 12:17:42 AM

at that point it wil be a really good reason to change the really poopy much hated kitchen

Ah, method in the madness

Oh yes!!  A few months a go there was water coming in through the celling.  Was MOST disappointed that it didn't bring the celling and damage the kitchen beyond repair.

Pat from Canvey

Only problem with soaking the beads before releasing from the mandrels is that the cats love the taste of the bead water.

beadysam

You can't beat using grits for cleaning transparent beads.  Use your dremel or whatever in the usual way but once the bead is clean you will still see the line through the bead and it can be very distracting or spoil a design completely.  If you want to get rid of it dip your wet mandrel in grits from 120 through 3-4 stages down to pumice and rub it up and down.  Rinse between stages and you should end up with a sparkly bead.  Unfortunately, its a time consuming process and I wouldn't do it on every bead as I'm too lazy - but definately on focals or special bead. 

Yes, I do sell a 5 stage system, but thats not why I've mentioned it.  You can get grits all over the place.  I genuinely believe this is the only way to get a really sparkling clear finish that doesn't draw the eye to the hole rather than the bead.

Krysia@No98

I remember you telling us about it before Sam (I did buy some but haven't used it yet)  Do you still have the pictures that showed the difference between the 'cleaned' bead and the gritted bead?