What is the best gas/oxygen combination??

Started by Jess, September 30, 2009, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jess

Please can anyone help??? I have just attended my first lampworking course and absolutely loved it.  However I am so confused about how to start!!!  The whole oxygen tank thing and cost of renting the tank etc scares me to death. Does anyone out there work with propane alone or have any suggestions for the easiest and most cost effective way to set up?!! Any suggestions would be gratefully received...  Thank you!

Steampunkglass

You'd probably be going down the oxycon road (oxygen concentrator) that takes oxygen out of the air via some scientfic alchemy. For soft glass and small torches one is enough

LittleHen

Hi Jess, most people have either a propane only system combined with a hot head torch or a oxy con with a small torch like a minor it can all be confusing but martin from Tuffnell,s glass is great help. The minor and oxycon set up is more expensive but significantly quieter. If possible get a lesson from someone that'll save loads time reading and trying to figure things out. You could also have a good look round the forum as it's loads of info!
Hope you get set up ok Jessie :-)

Jess

Thank you guys for your feedback - I was under the impression that the oxycon itself was quite noisy - but i take it it is quieter than the hot head??  Also does using just propane affect the quality of your beads??  I really want to get started but don't want to waste money on a set up that I need to change after a few months!!!  Thanks again - and I would love to hear how others have set up and how they're getting on!! 

jobead

Really depends on your budget and how desperate you are to get going. I couldn't wait and went down the cheap hothead and MAPP route to start with as I also didn't have a lot of space either. I've now moved to bulk propane but I can make reasonably presentable beads you just don't have the same ability to do fancy stuff.

I agree with comments above Tuffnells were a great help when I called them with my MAPP gas woes so give them a call, sure they will be happy to help.

Must admit hothead is noisy and think I might need to get earplugs or an ipod or summat but I've be making beads rather than just saving up and that's the payoff !

;D
Jo