Can you disconnect bulk propane after each use?

Started by helbels, September 21, 2009, 09:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helbels

Hello

Following on from my previous question, I have another (my evil plan to lampwork in a 1 bed flat is taking shape! Hehehehe  ;D)

If I were to use Bulk Propane with a Hothead, could I simply disconnect the tank after each use and take it outside to sit there until I next need it?  I have some space outside, just not a garden, so this wouldn't be an issue.   

Not sure if this is a practical idea - are the tanks mega heavy (I have a flight of stairs to negotiate!)

This could get round the bf's (justified) objections to propane in the house.   

Thanks again.
Helen

Shirley

You can certainly disconnect each time. You can even get quick release things that make it very easy. The weight of the tank depends on which one you get. A small tank doesn't weigh too much at all.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Redhotsal

It's the safest way to go - but you would have to make sure your connection was leak free each time (test with leak detection fluid - from B+Q Depot). You should do this anyway - each time you change tanks.
I'm not a huge fan of quick release as they can be problematic.
You should also "purge" your system after each use - which applies to everyone really. This is really easy. You just turn off the tank at the knurled valve, leave your regulator open and let the gas burn off through the torch. When it's all gone you are purged. This is good practise anyway as you don't really want gas sitting in the hoses for long periods of time.
A 3.9kg size tank is great - it's very easy to cart around and doesn't look nearly as menacing as a larger tank (although you'll obviously need to take as much care as with any size tank!). The smaller tanks are not the most economical but it will still last you weeks.

TillyBean

Hi Helen,

I purchased a quick release valve from Tuffnell Glass, this is is probably the easiest way to do it, otherwise you will have to screw the regulator on and off each time. You can also but different size propane so shouldn't be too much of an issue with the stairs.

Best of Luck

Gail x

Magpie

I torch in the kitchen and the propane sits outside, though it came in last winter coz it got cold and complained. I disconnect each time with the quick connect thingy. Could you rig up sufficient hose to keep the tank outside all the time, chuck the hose out of the window and connect up when you're going to be using it? It would save lugging it up the stairs every time.

Helen

jobead

I have the quick release do-da and put the propane outside when I have used it. I've got a 6kg tank and it is a bit heavy when it's full. However I bought it just after Flame Off and have only just got a refill so a smaller one would still last you a good few weeks depending on how much you torch.

I always purge, though I didn't know it had a proper name I just like to get rid of the gas in the pipes so it doesn't linger in the house.

:)
Jo

Mand

I have the same as jobead, had it over 18 months, never had any problems with the quick release doo da.  :)  A 6kg tank is manageable, especially if you buy the "Lite" tanks - about £18 ish.