shelves in Caldera kiln

Started by mirandole, June 26, 2009, 08:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirandole

Hi,
I have a question re shelving, I have a Caldera kiln that I use for batch anealing beads and recently fusing, I have one shelf that came with the kiln and I get about 20 items on it at one firing.

My question is: would there be any problems in using one or even 2 more stacked shelves as there seems to be a waste of space and I could get many more cabouchons in one firing?

thanks ยจ

Phill

Nina A

Hi,  I have a Caldera Kiln,  and I have two shelves. 
If I'm fusing I put the larger pieces on the bottom shelf as I find that it is very slightly hotter, so the heat tends to 'spread' better.

Nina

ejralph

Quote from: Nina A on June 26, 2009, 08:34:36 PM
Hi,  I have a Caldera Kiln,  and I have two shelves. 
If I'm fusing I put the larger pieces on the bottom shelf as I find that it is very slightly hotter, so the heat tends to 'spread' better.

Nina

I have noticed exactly the same thing for ceramic work in the caldera. The bottom shelf has way more exposure to the elements than the top and is consequently hotter (which is odd as you would expect the top to be, but not so)

If batch annealing, I would check with polarisers that you are getting a good anneal on both shelves at your chosen schedule.

Emma

mirandole

Thanks Emma and Nina for your information, it seems that I can put another shelf in bearing in mind your comments.

thanks again

Phill