hose to torch set up is it correct?

Started by devoncows, February 15, 2007, 09:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncows

ok i know this has been asked and there are pics of set ups but i could not find it!
And I want to be certain this is correct before i strike the first match, so sorry to be a pain but is this ok an correct??! I have got the pipes on to the torch as far as I can but the propane metal grippy things are a bit funny! and don't seem to do a lot, maybe i have to squeeze them?

Alice.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Caroline

glassworks

these look fine, just make sure that the hose claps have been tightened up snug... when they "squish" the tube slightly you are tight enough!!..

if you are really wanting to check - take a mug with water in it - add a few drops of washing up liquid and rub onto the joints of your propane hose with torch taps closed and your regulator open.. soapy bubble will indicate a leak of even the smallest amount.. on the oxy side, open the tap on the torch all the way and run your oxycon... although your are extremely unlikely to get bubbles on the hose joint here as all the gas will be heading out the torch...

DO NOT EVER RUN YOUR OXYCON WITH THE TAPS ON YOUR TORCH CLOSED!!!!....

the oxycon does not run when there is any kind of back pressure caused by closed taps on the torch.. and you will damage the unit.. this is stated all over the documentation, but we forgot a few times when we started and we warn everyone we can now!!..

;)

devoncows

Quote from: Caroline on February 15, 2007, 09:26:43 PM
i can't see, your pictures are tiny
sorry not very good at getting them the correct size!
is this better?

[attachment deleted by admin]

devoncows

I only seem to have a flash back and not a regulator in my stuff that arrived today. Do I need a regulator? Where can I get one if i do? (quickly)!

MangoBeads

You 've got one Alice - hope you got my email thats the reg and Flashback in the pic !

devoncows

Quote from: MangoBeads on February 15, 2007, 09:57:17 PM
You 've got one Alice - hope you got my email thats the reg and Flashback in the pic !
yep thanks! I guess I just open it up as it has a max of 4 or 5 on it!
thanks.

bubblefizz

My regulator doesnt have any numbers on it  :-\

glassworks

if you look underneath it it should be pre-set and the figure will be stamped into the metal somewhere... but to be perfectly honest, the propane pressure will not be a problem if you are running an oxycon.. the limiting flow will be the oxy... your torch will be perfect running on whatever pressure your regulator is set at!..

;D

devoncows

what setting should the oxycon be on it has numbers 1-5 or 6 on the glass bubble thing! I think it should be 6 but wanted to check.

Les

Mine is usually set to a little below 5.. say about 4.5.... if that's of any help ??

lpm, that is..

Les xx

bubblefizz

bubblefizz

DO NOT EVER RUN YOUR OXYCON WITH THE TAPS ON YOUR TORCH CLOSED!!!!....

Quinton i have been switching the oxy on, i light the gas first, then turn on oxy  ???
this not right? i read in cindy jenkins book the "poop" propane oxygen, oxygen propane!

what should i be doing ::)

glassworks

the POOP thing is exactly right - but the trick is not to stop the oxy for more than a split second while you light the propane.. once we have had a bit of practice we could flick the oxy off, light the propane and flick the oxygen back on.. i think it was mary that described it as a sort of breakdancing move with the added challenge of dodging flames!.. the trick is not to interupt the output from the oxycon for anything longer than the absolute minimum time.. the POOP also comes from bottled oxy, where everything is running at a much higher pressure like in a welders shop - not quite so critical in an oxycon setup..

once you have had a bit of practice, i think you'll find you know exactly how  much to crack the propane open and will be able to light the torch without closing the oxy valve at all..

anyone else thoughts?..

bubblefizz

ok....what about just turning both gas & oxy on and lighting them together?  ::)