hose to torch set up is it correct?

Started by devoncows, February 15, 2007, 09:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

glassworks

more or less!!.. the only difficulty is that the oxycon normally takes about 5 minutes of running to get going and producing a stable flow of oxy...

our process is like this...

fully open oxy on torch...

turn oxycon on and go and boil the kettle for a cup of coffee/tea... make and drink coffee/tea

sit in front of torch and open regulator on propane cylinder...

light long wooden match, turn oxy closed and immediately crack propane open on torch and light, drop match, and with other hand open oxy again...

this breakdancing move results in a tiny interuption to the oxycon flow, and still fullfills the POOP rules... martin can probably give better technical advice here - but effectively the oxycon can be damaged after even a short period of running against a closed torch valve... we found a thread on LE a while ago which recommended the same process as we use - and some people don't ever turn their oxy off on the oxycon and just light the torch by cracking open the propane.. i think that the lower pressures of everything on an oxycon setup make this reasonably safe - but i would ever do this on a bottled oxy setup as the oxy is at a much higher pressure..

hope this helps and not confuses - anyone else with oxycon experience got any further info/comments/advice?

Mary

I do this - switch on my oxy-con, connect up my propane and start my kiln while I'm waiting. Then when I'm ready to start, I turn on my propane a tiny bit and light it without switching off the oxy. It goes POP! but I'm used to it. I always struggled to light the propane with my sparker, I burned myself several times, so it was safer for me to light it with the oxy on!

Billie

You'd need a strong cuppa after that  ;D

bubblefizz

Dragonfire Glass

you must have great nerves! I jump when the glass shocks!  :)

devoncows

Ok I think i may have a problem! When i turn the oxycon on it does not always bleep. Also the lights do not come on stright away. the normal with green light lights up then after a short while goes off, the one below which says Below normal then comes on. Why is this? is it the oxycon do i need to call martin?!
I'm not sure about using it when it is on below normal is it damaging it?
Thanks,
Alice.

devoncows

glassworks

not in belgium....

our oxycon always beeps when it turns on..... then shuts up after a few seconds...

check with martin..... or maybe mary will rise and shine for us shortly!!.. hang in there chap - it'll all semm like second nature soon, you just need to get through the start up phase where everything is new and explosive!!

8)

Sarah

Hi

Mine always beeps too. But I took delivery of it 2 weeks ago so am no expert.

MangoBeads

The bleep is normal - to start withthen it shuts off ,but I should call him - its not the same as mine so I wouldnt like to say - I dont think the warning below normal is too much of an isuue because remember it was deigned for Medical use just perhaps means the oxygen isnt quite as pure - so in respect of damaging the machine i wouldnt worry but having said that its not right so give him a call - how frustrating .
Hope you get it sorted out soon Alice - if its any consilation mine didnt work when I first got it at all - !
These machines do not like being moved around .

Mary

Mine always beeps, it's the low-output warning, so that's normal till it gets going, but probably not a problem if it doesn't do it. Then it runs a bit on a green light, but changes to low oxy amber light mid session. It has done that since I got it a year ago, and it still runs fine!

devoncows

that sounds like mine! fuh!  i just left a message for martin, just to check.
Just tryed running oxycon on its own. It bleeped this morning! normal light went on after 5 min then stayed on normal for 10 mines then droped to the amber below normal light and flicked between the two for 5 mins then stoped and stayed at below normal amber light.

with reference to the flow gauge, should it always be left at 4 or 5 . or do i turn it up and down as i turn oxycon on and off?

Getting there slowly, off on bike now while weather not bad! then back to make beads and show friend how to!
Thanks,
Alice. :)

Dragonfire Glass

I never touch the regulator on the propane - its on what martin set it at.
I turn on the oxycon, open the propane valve, light just the propane at the torch then open the oxygen to setting 4.
to switch off I switch off the oxycon, close the propane valve, turn off the oxygen at the torch & let any remaining propane in the hose burn off, then close the tap.
leaving the oxycon running with a closed tap causes the oxycon to shut itself off.
leaving the oxycon running with the tap open without burning propane is very unsafe practice.