MAPP gas??

Started by amewat, March 21, 2009, 04:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amewat

hi i cannot find mapp gas anywere. well i have only looked at homebase andn b&q so any other ideas were i can get this annoying gas lol.

ageinghippy

i used to get my mapp gas from tools4trade. https://www.tools4trade.com/default.aspx
gas is cheaper and i never had a problem. b & Q sometimes keep it under the counter.........so its always best to ask.
hope this helps you
tina x

Helen G

I used to get mine from The Plumb Centre a plumbing merchant

bluefairy

In my B&Q it's with the plumbing supplies x
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

Trudi

used to get mine from Plumb Centre too!!

mizgeorge

Most builders merchants have it too

jobead

I've also bought some from tools4trade website but one of the reasons you may be having problems is that the old type MAPP gas isn't made anymore and the only type you can get is the new MAP PRO which basically does the same job but has a different make up (I'm not going to do the "science" bit!) Apparently there was only one firm that produced it and they are now defunct.

I ordered 12 cans of MAP PRO which from memory meant I got them for about 8 quid each, there is slightly less gas in them than the MAPP ones but only slightly and almost half the price anyway.

I had read on some US sites that the new gas can burn dirty and ruin some colours but I can't say that I have had that problem myself.

Hope that helps your search  ;)

Jo

Redhotsal

Arrgghhh! Mapp gas- Don't bother. Invest £100 in a bulk propane set up and you'll never look back.

by the way - the main suppliers were/are? Weller (US) Rothenberger (Germany) and Bernzomatic (US). I don't believe it is imported from anywhere else. Hence the costliness of it. Last time I looked it was a tenner but I've heard of people paying anything up to £19 for a canister (which will last you only around five hours!)

Check it out: http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/prod_6885/plumbing-tools/gas-cylinders-and-canisters/rothenberger-mapp-gas-cylinder-453gms.html

flowerjasper

listen to sal!!!
best advice i had when i started was to go on bulk propane,
soooo much cheaper, doesnt freeze and you can use the connectorsif you want to up grade,
sandy

amewat

well wat does bulk mean? do  u need more room? ive got no were really to do it so i was gonna do it out in the garden lol hence the use of a canister.does bulk mean u need a big thing of gas an an oxygn  machine? its all so confusing arghhhhhh.

Lush!

Bulk means the big red container of propane gas and hosing to connect it to the hothead. 

Propane bottles come in various different sizes, the smallest of which, according to www.calorgas.co.uk, is 3.7kg and only measures 340mm high by 240mm diameter  :)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Amber

I was in B&Q today and noticed that Mapp has gone up from £10 to £15 in the space of a few months...so go for the bulk, it's faaar cheaper (and better). You won't regret it!  :)

amewat

so why donmt they sell propane by itsel in tiny cannisters? like mapp gas? and why does mapp gas excist if u can use just propane instead of a mix lol. an why do people use oxeygen machines lol soory for annoyin u all im just relly confused and i like to understand things.

amewat

hi culd someone please ansewr this for me thanks  :)

Lush!

Because neither Mapp gas nor propane are exclusively for use by beadmakers!  They both have other uses, but they are both useable for making beads.

Oxygen concentrators are primarily used in hospitals, most lampworkers use reconditioned machines that are no longer suitable for hospital use.  They are used as an alternative to bottled oxygen.

Does that help?   :)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com