? nortal minor versus mega minor

Started by Cecilia, March 19, 2009, 10:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecilia

sorry to start this one again but i have finally persuaded my DH to let me have a grown up torch. mostly out of my bead making savings but with  bit of a mothers day present too. i am so excited. i have been slowly clearing myself a space in the garage for months in anticipation. but what do i get?

the mega minor is almost the same price at the moment so what is the advantage? will it run ok on one oxycon?

does it make sense to get the slightly bigger torch to start with?

oooh and what about the bobcat? it is very pretty.

i have read through the threads on here but i am none the wiser.

Help

I would appreciate your thoughts

Cecilia X

Mary

Both are very good torches. The Minor has a narrow flame, the Mega is bushier, so better for bigger stuff, it's easier to keep big beads warm.

Monkeepenny

I have no experience with a Minor but I LOVE my Mega Minor - it's RED isn't that enough??  ;D

I run mine on one oxycon - an EX15 and can do (apparently) small to medium boro on it if I want.  I'm pretty sure it will run with a 5lm oxcon too.

I just started stretching my sculpting a bit more and was delighted to pull off these guys with my Mega -

hope that helps a bit!

Cecilia

WoW  they are amazing

i am not sure i would ever have it in me to try anything scultural, i am still a roundish bead type person. maybe my new torch will help me be a bit more adventurous...

Cecilia x

Trudi

Are you going to Flame Off - if so, I'd wait as most torches will be set up there and you can see them in action and ask questions!

Cecilia

Unfortunately i can't make it as we are on holiday with all the extended family in the lakes, same thing happened last year too.  Mums paying so it is too good an offer to refuse but i wish they could have booked it the week before then i could have made both. its a pity 'cos my sister lives fairly nearby so i could have got free accomodation too... sobs quietly...

Cecilia x

Trudi

That's a shame!!

Well if it helps I have a nortal minor - it's very quiet - easy to run/ adjust and I can make fairly large beads with 1 oxycom - at least 35mm with no problem!

Cecilia

thank you for your thoughts. we made the jump last night and ordered a minor and oxycon. my logic being one of the things that bugs me about the hothead apart from its obvious lack of speed is its inaccuracy in its flame. either torch would be good as they are both well tried and tested.

now i just have to hoover up spiders and try and get rid of the resident mice and clear a space in the garage. all easier said than done...

can't wait.

Cecilia X

Monkeepenny

Oooh Cecilia, you are going to be one happy torcher  ;D

Kaz

Congratulations on your purchase - YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!