carlisle min CC torch- checking for leaks & maintenance

Started by firedinglass, March 20, 2009, 07:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firedinglass

I've just received my new torch from the US and am very excited BUT the instruction sheet has made me go into a state of panic!  It says that I should check the torch out before using by connecting to oxygen and putting head in water  then put soapy suds on joints etc.... and that I should do this ONCE A MONTH :o
I am the one who would have to do this, not having a practical husband.......  I've never done anything to my minor other than connect it.....and it's still fine several years later.    Do any of you out there really do this that often?  Is it easier than it sounds?  Also I've been sent a brass mini CC and I read that these get hotter than the stainless steel casings.....any info/comments desperately  needed to stop me worrying.... :-[

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

beadysam

I don't know about putting the whole thing in water, but I do check my connections on a regular basis with a soapy solution.  Maybe once a week to once a fortnight when I'm getting torch time daily.  If I'm not getting near my torch, as is the case at the moment, I check the connections every time I torch.  Never had a leak yet though!

silverlemon

My mini CC you tried is brass. yes it is a bit hotter than the minor but it was OK when you tried it wasn't it. :)

I check all my hose connections whenever I change my propane, but certainly not once a month.
I think you'll find they're covering their backs.
HTH
Bionic Sarah xxx    Sarah Downton On Facebook  My Etsy Shop

Pat from Canvey

I have a Carlisle Mini CC and apart from the initial set up a couple of years ago, I don't check. It works perfectly and have you heard the phrase, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. How often do you check the gas connections on your cooker for example, answer,............. never. When I change cylinders of propane, I make sure the connection is tight by using a wrench and that's all.

firedinglass

Thanks everyone for responding . That's more or less what I thought, but then wondered if I was being a bit lax...  When i put the soapy mixture on the joints to check do i just put something like washing up liquid around the dials or what????  Sorry if i seem a bit dim :-[  but no instructions explain how to do this -  just told me to do it :P

Lisa

Pam

I think if you are careful, hear or smell propane leaking you would obviosly check more often but if the flame is consistant, you are not moving your torch around etc so long as all initial check are fine (no leaks)  and you check when you change propane a 6 monthly check would be sufficient. As silverlemon said they are most likely covering their backs and I suppose they have to make the users of their eqipment aware of the potential dangers.
You will love using this torch, I have one too and its fab.

julieHB

Quote from: glasslisa on March 21, 2009, 09:59:26 AM
   Thanks everyone for responding . That's more or less what I thought, but then wondered if I was being a bit lax...  When i put the soapy mixture on the joints to check do i just put something like washing up liquid around the dials or what????  Sorry if i seem a bit dim :-[  but no instructions explain how to do this -  just told me to do it :P

I don't know what others do, but I put some soapy solution (strong enough to blow soap bubbles with) into an empty hair spray bottle, and just squirt that on now and again. Leaks show up very easily  :) I haven't had problem with the propane connections, but struggled a bit to get the oxycon connections tight.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Kaz

My DH who is a heating engineer checks mine when the propane is changed and then every now and again with a product similar to this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-400ML-AEROSOL-LEAK-DETECTOR-GAS-PIPES-AIR-76110_W0QQitemZ220370545311QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item220370545311&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C240%3A1318
I understand (though I may be wrong) that washing up liquid whilst doing the job admirably may encourage the rubber hoses to perish more quickly.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

firedinglass

Lisa