Vetro odd Lots working tips!

Started by astringofbeads, August 16, 2007, 09:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

astringofbeads

Seeing as these are getting very popular I thought i'd start this off as some of these need a bit of TLC whilst working :D
If you make any discoveries whilst using any of them, stick your findings and piccys in here ;)
So far I have tried

Watermelon,  easy to work gorgeous pinks and oranges ( think fruit salads!) possible, starts off pink, work cool, then if you want the oranges, strike it in the flame

Banana Custard Lovely soft custard colour, but another striker that turns a much brighter yellow if you re introduce it to the flame, again very easy to work with

Topaz  This is a prima donna of a glass!  It is really shocky and I mean big time! I have had 1 inch pieces drop off a rod whilst winding on a bead! The rods need to be kept really warm before you attempt to make anything with it. I had the rods sitting on the top of the kiln, and that still wasn't hot enough! My experience of encasing was not good either, all 5 beads I made are covered in compatibillity cracks when encasing with vetro clear and they went into the kiln with a glow too. The colour changed to a sludge grey/blue when encased too. I would say don't encase! That said this is a lovely glass it is reactive, so try it with iris gold frit, or any of the silver glass for some great effects

Pale avocado/Marbled avocado  These are reactive so treat as ivory and also a bit shocky so warm the rods first

Honey crunch  Lovely soft swirls and i'm guessing here but if the cream is ivory then it's going to be reactve too! Nice and easy to work with

Tangerine Sparkle  Lush! dead easy to work and it's not a striking colour.

Purplicious, Gorgeous glass, easy to use and it's easy to get the colour to push out leaving nice lines of darker purple,  ( will try and post a pic of what I'm talking about!)

Candy Apple  Don't overwork this as it goes quite dark. Needs cool oxy rich flame to keep the colour bright, but you can get some nice transluscent streaks in it so a bit different to most reds
these are the the only ones I've worked so far, so feel free to share your tips ;D

Billie


Dragonfire Glass

very useful info - thanks for sharing.
I haven't got any of these colours yet

glassworks

Brilliant feedback - especially on the shocky info!!!.. we all work glass slightly differently and it is absolutely great to have feedback from other users.. now all we need is to start posting pr0n of new beads!!!

any technical issues raised here will be checked by us and feedback will go to the factory too - the team at vetrofond want to create new and interesting glass - and sometimes have to push the limits of what machine made glass has been able to do up till now!

8) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sulis (Hazel)

Thanks Jaq for posting this info - as Q says, everyone works the glass differently. I have tried a little with some of this glass on a HH, not tried encasing any yet. I am loving Watermelon and Purpleicious  :D

Any pictures of your results would be fantastic....pleeease...?! 
Hazel x

astringofbeads

#5
These glasses are great, but its a bit of uncharted territory until you know what they will/won't do and the last thing you want is to spend your heard earned pennies on something unpredictable ;D If we can share our tips and tricks to get the best out of them then so much the better ;D  I'm all for pushing limits :D ;)
here's a couple with purplicios (sp?) and tangerine sparkle

[attachment deleted by admin]

littlegiggles

these are pinapple sparkle and orange sparkle



When you heat the glass you get little sparks which looks like the glass might pit. It doesnt it just the sparkle in the glass.  Work it cooler so that you dont burn out all the sparkle. 

Also tried to make flower leaves from it.  As the sparkle is in the centre of the rod and when making leaves your effectively just squashing the rod the sparkle ends up in the middle.  Interesting effect.

Avacardo is probably my favorite glass at the moment... does this seasons muted colours really well.  If you keep it cooler you'll get more striations as it seems to get lighter as its cooked.  Made a focal.. sorry no photos ... with dark ivory and avacardo and super heated it... they ended very similar colours... it was what I wanted tho

Billie

I do rather like the tangerine sparkle.  It's great with silvered ivory  ;D

Nice beads Julie.

Maria Louisa

New vetrofond odd lots colours:



And yes indeed, 2 of them were very very shocky.
www.glassbeadsculptress.com
www.glassbeadsculptress.etsy.com
www.beadpress.nl
www.flickr.com/beadpress

beadysam

Loving the Marbled Avocado - yes very shock but not unmanageable.  Big chinks fall off rather than flying frit everywhere, so you can just pick up the chunks, stick `em on your marver to warm and use them late - no problem.  Looks beautiful though...
The Topaz works the same - very shocky.  Not crazy about the look but more experimentation is needed I think.
Moss Agate - very, very, very dark - even over white.  Best used pulled as stringer I find - nice on Avocado, makes it look similar to the Marbled Avocado...
The Lichen is lovely.  I haven't done much with it yet, except encase some white wit it but is a lovely soft mellow colour.

Billie


Maikki

I made some testing yesterday with tester pack rods. Marbled avocado, topaz and moss agate were all shocky, especially topaz, as you had told. But they are all a bit like filigrana, one colour encased with another and I have always found filigranas very shocky. I like the colour of marbled avocado so much! Waiting for more of it to come any day or minute... The bead just broke when I took it of mandrel, but i think it was broken when I put it to the oven. I made some frogs using tapenade, wasabi and banana cream on those beads and I think heard a little crack when making one on Marbled avocado. I checked it and could see anything because those swilrs, but it seems it was there anyway. 

When I had stringers left from frogs, I tested encasing. I made couple of moss agate triangle beads with banana cream and wasabi dots and Lauscha clear encasing. They seems to be fine. Interesting effect was, that bead is dark in places where are not encasing, but the blueish colour moss agate is having in it, shows under encasing (those lines between triangles).

I am not very good and fast photografer, but I will put some photos, when I have took them. Just the frogs were not very good, it is long time I made them last time.
Maija-Leena

beadysam

just to add - Moss Agate gets lighter and more mushroomy out of the kiln! ;)