Another Paragon SC2 error - relay?

Started by Blue Box Studio, August 27, 2012, 09:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Blue Box Studio

Have read all the other threads and come to the conculsion that the relay is on its way out on my SC2.  I had a tcl error yesterday and today but turning it off and on managed to get it to fire.  So I'll get a relay in for when it finally goes. But ........

Today's daft question, er, where is the relay?  I reckon I can change it when I find it but is it in the front under the switches, at the back?  With limited room in my shedio I don't want to take the whole thing apart.

Anyone know how long the warranty is on an SC2, I can't find it in the manual so presume it's only 12 months.  Mine's only 18 months and not fired more than once or twice a week on average so a bit disappointing it should fail so soon?  Even my £9.99 kettle from Argos has a 2 year warranty.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Fenrir

Not sure if this helps, but paragon has a video tutorial for replacing the relay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PveA1hzzPRE

Blue Box Studio

#2
I'd found that one, thanks.  Just not clear where the relay actually is.  It looks like it ought to be the back, but having not taken the back off, if it's the side I'd rather start with that.

And is one relay much the same as another, or do I need to take mine out to find out which one to buy?
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Pat from Canvey

Sue, I replaced my relay after talking to ee at ilncare a week or so ago. He recommended Penine Com[onents s he didn't have the relays in stock at that time. The invoice from Penine quoters part number 2952355 and Description T92811D22-12 with RELAY SPCO 12VDC 30A F/MOUNT
Total cost with postage £14.11

Blue Box Studio

#4
Thanks Pat, that's who I'll get it from then.  Is it a case of removing just the back and following the video?  Anything technical about it.  If it's not the back where is it?

Just found this, might help someone else - http://metalclaymag.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/kiln-maintenance-relay-replacement-on.html - it's a case of removing the bottom!
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Trudi

Sue, from memory it's the bottom you need to remove. I have instructions at home, but I'm away at the moment.

Pm me at the weekend to remind me x


Blue Box Studio

Thanks Trudi.  The 2 parts you and Pat suggested are different and Pennine couldn't tell me the difference.  I ended up ringing Cherry Heaven and Robin thinks it might be the thermocouple - he's got me doing strange tests!  His relays are £37+, don't have that at the moment :(if it's anything other than a cheap replay replacment it will have to wait until next pay day - late September!
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Trudi

Hi Sue
Well the part number on my thread is the one I ordered and fits!

Blue Box Studio

I'm sure there's not much between them.  Robin isn't sure what's wrong and told me to get in touch with Laura at Paragon.  Will see where we go from there, if they reply.  If not will start with the relay and see how things go.

Seems the difference in the relays is 'double pole changeover' or 'normally open' - no idea what that means but was going to opt for the double pole version which you have as to my simple little mind that sounded like something that goes on and off?  Why the difference in price, £37 or £7.26?  All the kiln suppliers have them around £37.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lee - Kilncare

Right then, double pole means it switches both the live and neutral.
Normally open means that when the relay is in the off position the elements are not on. To explain, normally closed means that when the relay was off the elements would actually be on.

You want a double pole, normally open version and I can confirm that the one fom Pennine will indeed fit.

As for the price difference, Pennine are the cheapest by a long way that I have seen these relays.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Blue Box Studio

Paragon replied to my email and said 'normally open' so I ordered a T92 Series, Flange Mounted, 30A, DP N/O from Pennine.  Still waiting for it to come.  Thanks Lee for confirming.    I had an electrician neighbour lined up to sort this for me, but he turned out not to have the right one and also said to order from Pennine.  Meanwhile I've watched videos, read blogs and think I know what I am meant to do with it when it turns up.  Paragon also said it could be the 'board' - sounds expensive  :o  this beast is only 15 months old and not fired often so a bit disappointed to be having problems so early on :(
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Blue Box Studio

Ya need good grip for this lark!  Relay finally arrived today (slight delay, the sorting office kept it's arrival a secret and then lost it) so I tackled the task this afternoon.  I struggled getting the clips off but managed in the end and have done a quick test fire which seemed OK.  Fingers crossed this is the solution.  Thanks all for your help, instructions and links.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr


Blue Box Studio

Busy making velvet scarves this week, won't get a chance to try it for another week (mustn't get distracted from the task in hand :) )
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr