Paragon SC2 tCL error - Cherry Heaven unavailable

Started by Donna@Rockin' Beads, July 24, 2012, 10:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Anyone know who else I can contact other than Cherry Heaven about parts for an SC2?

I phoned Cherry Heaven, who I bought it from, and the answerphone message is rather alarming in that the speaker states he is going into hospital and may be kept in overnight so it seems that no-one else is available to deal with problems.

My kiln is nearly 5 years old and appears to have a small hole in the kiln wall (it might be new, from a session last week when I wasn't in). I wonder if damage to the wall might be part of the problem or just a red herring.
Any advice most welcome  :)

Zeldazog

Warm Glass sell the SC2 Donna, might be worth contacting them?

My guess would be tCL is a thermocouple error, I had that code on my Hotstart a couple of years ago, but I spoke to Simon at Warm Glass who told me to check the wiring int he control box, and he was right, it was simply a loose wire and it was all sorted.

garishglobes

Try Hobby Ceramicraft. http://www.hobbyceramicraft.co.uk/kilns.php

They were brilliant when mine had a similar problem.

I should say that Lee at Kilncare was also very, very helpful and would normally have had the part necessary. I just phoned Hobby Ceramicraft when I knew what I needed and that he didn't have it - so it might be worth trying him first

Lee - Kilncare

Hi mate, well firstly let's hope that Robin is O.K.

TCL??? You sure about that????? I have no reference to TCL as a fault code, not in my copy of he instruction anyway.
However I would put my money on it being the thermocouple.

Take out the thermocouple wires from the back of the controller and replace them with a link so that it short circuits the connections.
Turn on the controller and it should read room temperarture, 18 degrees or whatever.
If it does, the thermocouple does indeed have a problem. If it still reads the error code then the problem may well be in the controller.

As for the damage in the side wall...complete red hearing as you suspected, however, do make sure the element is not now visible, it won't effect how the kiln works if the elements is visible but it will make your hair stand on end if you touch it when the kiln is on ;D

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Steampunkglass

Ah, I've got instructions for a bluebird which uses the sentry4 programmer and it does list tCL as 'thermocouple lag' which it says is that the actual kiln temperature is 100f/56deg away from the programmed temperature  ??? ??? ??? ???  and it gives 4 options for whats wrong it lists;
'thermocouple has fallen out'
'worn or burned elements, low voltage or defective thermocouple'
'thermocouple has shorted out' and lastly
'you've programmed a cooling segment lower than room temperature

I hope that's some help, but it's as clear as mud to me  :-\

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Thanks everyone. The message on the answer phone was slightly alarming so I hope he's better soon.
I spoke to a chap at Hobby Ceramicraft and he thought the hole was the reason for the fault but that it has nothing to do with the thermocouple. He reckons a small break in the wall while it was on might have let the molten metal burn into the wall (my understanding of his description  :P).
Anyway, we have no tools in the shop just now so have various diagnostic processes to follow tomorrow and I have a call in with Paragon too.
I just hope it's the thermocouple and not the muffle  :( :( :(
As usual, thank you everybody for your help.
Donna

Lee - Kilncare

oooo TCL is lag, yes, I remember coming across that before.

I would like to readjust my diagnosis please class. :-\

The hole in the wall may not be damage caused from use, misuse or carelessness, it may well have been caused by the element failing, which inturn has "blown" the hole.
It is now very likely to be the muffle my friend....
However.....
most SC2s that have the TCL type problem usually have a failed relay so let's hope for that outcome eh.

TWITTER @kilncare
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Thanks for that Lee. You're always allowed to re-diagnose  ;D ;D ;D
I'm hoping for the thermocouple, obviously  :), otherwise it's the muffle or maybe even a new kiln  :'( :'( :'(

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I've been in touch with Paragon as somebody recommended their support (well, they did manufacture it after all  :P). But I'm afraid I have not had very much help from them at all. I send off long emails, with photos and get single sentence replies back with no reference to my previous email. The reply doesn't come in 'til 1am and I thought the time difference might make it possible to get a reply mid afternoon but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Fortunately I am able to borrow my niece's paragon sc2 but I am still no closer to finding out what's really wrong, what might have caused it and what it's going to take to fix it.  >:( >:( >:(
I think I'd rather have support in this timezone for my next kiln  :), particularly if there is pink to be had  ;D ;D ;D

Lee - Kilncare

Hi mate, if you are struggling then you can always bring it here or send it too us. I try to avoid getting involved with the American stuff but if you are stuck then get in touch with me.

TWITTER @kilncare

Trudi

If you need a relay you can get them from Pennine Components

Tel 017060815737 the part number is 4952343
T92 series, Flange Mounted, 30A, DP N/O

When I got mine last year it was £6.60 + VAT and delivery was £6.50

I have some instructions showing you how to change this but not on me at the moment (I'm at work) but if you send me a private message, it will remind me when I get home. It's easy to do, even a dummy like me managed it.

Hope that helps!

Trudi x

Trudi

Oh - I managed to get my phone connected to my PC to get the info!

Video link to show you how to change a relay
http://www.electrickilns.co.uk/fv07.htm
Paragon Manual
http://paragonweb.com/files/manuals/IM164_Paragon-SCSeries_
Manual_May2011.pdf

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Thanks everyone. I've told Paragon what I think of their support so it will either improve or go completely silent!!!
I'll see what they say then decide what to do but it does look like the muffle not anything cheap!!,
Meanwhile I do have the loan of a kiln indefinitely so tomorrow I'm making beads again  :)
Thanks again Trudi for your very kind offer but I don't think that's it, unfortunately.

Dragonfire Glass

My Bluebird is now showing a tCL error. It did the other day and I set the program off again and it was fine the next two times I used it and now it won't fire at all  :(

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Mine died completely with the first sign of the TCL error. Maybe yours is a loose connection.