Main Menu

Looking for Glow-Glass

Started by Biggithekid, February 05, 2012, 11:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Biggithekid

I am looking for a source for Glow-Glass rods in Great Britain.

Glassrods like these http://www.sundanceglass.com/glow-glass-glow104.htm. I can't get them in Germany and only got them in a omnibus order from USA with very expensive shipping costs. In Germany I only can get the Glow-Glass powder, but the rods are glowing much more intensive.

Has anybody here an idea, where I can get it in Great Britain?

the lady with the lamp

Hi,will this help www.etsy.com/listing/82091488/glow-in-the-dark-cane-14-pound-114 had it in my favourites for ages and the post is cheap Parin.

Biggithekid

Thank you, looks good and the shipping costs are really cheap.


Steampunkglass


Sarah9959

Quote from: Steampunkglass on February 06, 2012, 11:06:33 AM
You can also get the powder which can be mixed into glass https://www.creativeglassguild.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=68_594

Hi Glenn

I have some of the powder and wondered if you know the best way to mix it to form a rod?

I am guessing I would melt the glass and apply the powder a little like enamel and then pull into cane - do you think this would work?

I guess I am assuming you know how to do it because of your post - sorry if you were just passing on info!

Thanks

Sarah

Steampunkglass

There was a video showing how to do this, however it looks like it's been removed from you tube  ??? :-\

It's been a while but I think you need to make two flat marias and then sandwich the powder between the two - it's tricky to do as it doesn't want to stick together - (I found if you just melt a gather and roll that in the dust it seems to burn it out). Then it's a case of trying to get the edges of the two marias to join and then litterally stir one into the other, really rolling it around until it's all mixed together nicely.

It's quite tricky, and not as good as buying it pre-made. I suspect this powder works better used in fusing than lampworking where the temperatures are a bit lower. I certianly found using it with boro wasn't very good.  :(

Biggithekid

Thank you very much for your very usefull hints to use the powder.

I had some older powder which worked quite well when I encase it with clear glass. I made a blob (mostly with white glass), rolled it in the powder, melted it and encased whith clear glass, rolled it again, melted and encased again and then I pulled my rod. But my newer powder is quite bitchy. When I encase it without heating, it's very hard to get the clear glass over the powder. And if I heat it before encasing the powder foams and gets brown areas. And the rods and stringers are very ugly and knobby. And after all they glow not as bright as the bought rods do.

Maybe I should look in youtube after the tutorial for the powder.