Main Menu

The best turquoise glass

Started by geojess, February 01, 2012, 03:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

geojess

Was wondering if anyone could help. I have various versions of effetre transparent turquoise and I love the colour but it scums really easily  :-\ so is a pain to work with, before I go out and buy another brands version can anyone suggest a good one to get.

thank you  :)

MadelineBunyan

I would avoid CIM pulsar.

I have best luck with thicker rods of the effetre, think its cause theres more of it, and you work with it more gently.

dont think I've tried any other 104 versions.

awrylemming

I would definitely recommend Lauscha for this, both transparent and opaque turquoises are just excellent.  No scumming or pitting, just lovely clean colours.

sarah t

the chemicals etc used to get these blues when combined with too much heat and over working causes the scumming and discolouration so you could get the same problem occuring with all makes in that colour range....some are better than others but you have to work them cooler for less time generally speaking ...


stuwaudby

The colour probably contains a copper salt based pigment, possibly copper sulphate. Too reducing and the copper will get reduced out leaving a brown mark. Too oxidising and the copper sulphate will break down into copper oxide (black) and sulphur dioxide (bubbles).

Josephine

Definitely avoid pulsar, bought it once, never used it, scums and bubbles horribly. The effetre light aqua is better behaved than the darker.

I must get myself some Laushca. Not this month sadly..car service, Rayburn service and new varifocal glasses (yes I'm getting to that age).

MadelineBunyan

there must be a market for 'volcanic effect' turquoise beads? no?

Josephine

I think I'd have had to work pulsar cold to avoid pitting. The moment it went near the flame it bubbled up completely.