Main Menu

TAG and a Hot Head?

Started by k00m, October 27, 2011, 06:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

k00m

Does anyone know if any of the 104 TAG will work on a hothead? They all look so pretty but I have no idea if there's any point in me getting some.
- Kerra -

cbeadies

 :) someone more knowledgeable may be along in a minute, but there is some discussion on TAG reducing glass on this thread which may be helpful.

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31112.0


helbels

TAG is generally a bugger to work, and some colours like Dalai Lama have to be worked VERY HOT to get them to strike, so not ideal for a Hothead.

Tell us which ones you are interested in, and we can give you advice.

awrylemming

I just played with some TAG, Deep Purple, Dalai Lama and Fire Lotus.  Every one of them I had to cook the heck out of them repeatedly before I got any colours, and heat them to the point where the glass was almost drooling off of the mandrel.  It's been a while since I used a hothead, and I can't remember if I got the glass that hot or not, but if it's difficult to do that, then working TAG is going to be a proper chore.  Let me rephrase that - even more of a chore than it usually is!

Nikki

taxco is great as it needs reducing I also find golden emerald over clear and reduced gives a beautiful mirror shine.

Shirl

I can get my glass to "drool off the mandrel" on my HH, does this mean TAG might work for me?

awrylemming

Always worth a try!  I can send you some TAG shorts if you like Shirl and you can test for everybody on a hothead?

Kalorlo

Quote from: Shirl on October 27, 2011, 11:30:39 PM
I can get my glass to "drool off the mandrel" on my HH, does this mean TAG might work for me?

The striking glass probably still won't - you need to get those to glow white hot and I at least never managed that with any silver striking glass on a hothead.

Shirl

Quote from: awrylemming on October 27, 2011, 11:39:41 PM
Always worth a try!  I can send you some TAG shorts if you like Shirl and you can test for everybody on a hothead?

Thats a good idea Sue, I can then post my results on a separate thread.

SilverGems89

I asked Sean this exact question at FO last year, he told me to try some of the reducers but it was unlikely i would get any of the strikers to produce their really nice colours, now i did buy 2 different reducers (just one rod of each) to try out...yeah they still haven't been anywhere near the torch! You have got me intrigued again now though Shirl, and i may just have a play at the weekend (will let you know how it goes of course)  ;) ;D

k00m

Thanks everyone! I think I'll get a couple of the reducers for now and save the beautiful strikers for whenever I eventually get a big girls torch.
- Kerra -

awrylemming

Quote from: k00m on October 28, 2011, 07:41:19 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I'll get a couple of the reducers for now and save the beautiful strikers for whenever I eventually get a big girls torch.

I'm sending some to Shirl tomorrow - if you want to hold fire (pardon the pun) for a little while, she's going to post up her hothead and TAG results when she's had a play, which will give you a better idea of what to buy.  :-*

k00m

Quote from: awrylemming on October 28, 2011, 08:02:47 PM
I'm sending some to Shirl tomorrow - if you want to hold fire (pardon the pun) for a little while, she's going to post up her hothead and TAG results when she's had a play, which will give you a better idea of what to buy.  :-*
Oooh, well, I'll see how patient I can be!  ;D
- Kerra -

Shirl

I hope I can do them justice :)  :o

Thanks Sue :)

SilverGems89

I had a go with Juno and Lake geneva today, still waiting for them to come out of the bubbles but from working them i'm not expecting much from Juno, the lake geneva looked nice when i reduced it but didn't look so nice under the encasing....will have to wait and see, more playing is probably needed  ;D