Main Menu

Gaffer Glass

Started by Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr), October 23, 2011, 03:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr)

Has anyone any experience of working with this?.  I know the company is in the States, and they have lots of different kinds of glass supplies, but I can't find out whether their lampworking rods are coe 104 compatible. ... they have some great colours!
Pris
My Website http://www.dancingwithglass.co.uk  My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/princesspeggy01
My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DancingwithglassLampwork

helbels

#1
On the Fritipedia it says: Gaffer Coloured Glass Ltd. was incorporated in 1993 in Auckland, New Zealand. They make COE 96 glass. For lampworking they supply solid cane, veiled cane and frit. This is furnace glass, so the colours are very saturated. Gaffer Glass USA also have their own range of frit blends.

So nope, not compatible with 104, although the frit is in small quantities.

awrylemming

I use gaffer stringer with 104 too - it makes lovely dense petals for flowers, and you tend to use less than the frit.  It is useable in the same amounts as frit, but it can be easy to get carried away with stringer decoration and end up with a cracked bead.

Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr)

So would it be OK used on it's own, and annealed at the same temperature as 104?  I really like this..
http://www.etsy.com/listing/80871413/scottybeads-lampwork-beads-alka-focal   ...from Scottybeads
Pris
My Website http://www.dancingwithglass.co.uk  My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/princesspeggy01
My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DancingwithglassLampwork

awrylemming

I have quite a lot of 96 glass Pris - would you like some black, white and clear to use as bases for your Gaffer?  System 96 is pretty good too, and these have a sale on Messy 96 http://www.morettiandmore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=156_158_166_118 - the Pate sounds gross but is a gorgeous colour - they're good on postage costs too.

helbels

Yeah you can use it on its own, no problem.

Kaz

I can't imagine it is THAT different to Reichenbach purple Rose???
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

awrylemming

There's a thread somewhere on LE Kaz - apparently it's quite different?  I love the Reich purple rose, but I do use a fair bit of 96 so wouldn't mind getting my mitts on some of the gaffer.

Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr)

Gaffer have a purple rose too, they are promoting that and the royal purple together, and showing test beads on their US site, but I can't find how to buy it.  Maybe they've sold out already.
Pris
My Website http://www.dancingwithglass.co.uk  My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/princesspeggy01
My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DancingwithglassLampwork

Hotglass28


So, no one remember little ole me then?

I have about 200 tons of the stuff  ;D

They have two new purples coming out. Despite me not lampworking at the mo, I will get my hands on those as soon as they hit Portsmouth Gaffer.
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

awrylemming

Mwah!  Sorry Denise  :(  Actually, I didn't realise you were still selling, but if you are, could I have a little product listy my dear???  And preorder some royal purple?  Etc etc etc.  I love 96, the colours are just more delicious.  ;D

Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr)

That's marvellous!  Please do get some in for us, and the Chalcedony ones too!  I'll definitely want the purple and the purple rose, and Sue, I'll help you use up your stash of coe 96!  Hurrah!
Pris
My Website http://www.dancingwithglass.co.uk  My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/princesspeggy01
My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DancingwithglassLampwork

Hotglass28


I'm not selling anymore my lovelies, but I do have a big stash of rods and frit in odd colours.

If Gaffer at Portsmouth have the new purples in stock then I will be buying 500grams of frit in purples for my personal stash   (to sit in the corner till I start lamping again properly)

I have loads of the chalcedony and C/ Blue.  I love looking at it all   ::)
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

awrylemming

Well, if you could get us some rods while you're buying your frit?  Or give us some purchase details, grovel grovel  :-*
I hope you're able to torch soon hun, looking at it is fun, but melting it is funner.  And I apologise to all at the Oxford English Dictionary for that one  :P

Sarah

I have a couple of rods of each of the new purples and some frit & powder courtesy of Becky who knows how much I love purple. I've only tried one which I think is royal purple but I'll check tomorrow. I love it - it doesn't devit in the same way as EDP or zimmerman purple rose. I do have some beads with the powder but no photo so I'll try & do that tomorrow. But these are the purples - the frit beads are gaffer's purple passion.



I haven't tried the Reichenbach so can't compare it to that.

Sarah
xxx